Chapter One

Five years ago,

Two shadows of a red head and a brown head were laughing and chasing each other as the sun started ascending to oversee the world.

Suddenly, a moment of silence followed their quick footsteps as they ran to the car parked by the house,

“Sam, stop it!” Elizabeth giggled as Sam grabbed her close and planted playful wet kisses on her cheek. She turned around to catch the look on his face; his dimpled smile lit his eyes up, and there was an aura above his head; an aura of a highly content guy.

“Why should I stop? Do you even understand how happy I am at this point? Beth, we’ve known each other for eighteen years! That means as long as we have lived!—“He exclaimed, his eyes dancing with happiness, Elizabeth watched him with an equally wide smile.

Sam held her hands in his and looked into her eyes,” You will never kiss anyone but me, never need anyone but me. You’re mine, Beth. I love you and you’re finally mine,” His voice took over a hint of fear.

He looked at her like she was the most precious thing in his life, and he would be lying if that wasn’t the case. For years he had been waiting for the day she admits she loves him. For years he had been watching her climb the social ladder at school, seeming more and more out of his league, out of his reach.

A week ago, Elizabeth was about to kiss Sam’s best friend, thinking he liked her.

Sam, knowing how his best friend was thinking as well as being crazy jealous, ruined the moment Elizabeth was so close to having. As he marched behind her that day to face her, he was getting ready for goodbyes. He honestly thought he was losing her and that was the last time he’ll ever see her.

However, when Elizabeth suddenly kissed him after admitting her love for him, new horizons were exposed and as much as he hated to admit it,

Sam was being a complete puppy when it came to his best friend who ended up his girl.

Elizabeth was guarding him with a youthful love expression. She tugged at his hands and kissed his mouth,” I love you too. Can we go home now? Dad will kill me for getting home late,”

Sam grinned; Mr. Renaldo was Elizabeth’s dad and let’s say he wasn’t scary as much as attentive. Sam could have sworn he never met a guy fully dedicated to his family like Mr. Renaldo. Gerard, Sam’s father, seemed to lose his mind every now and then being responsible for a family and all that. But Zachariah Renaldo was a man who knew what he wanted and he took it, forming his whole life on the base of loving his wife, and then his family.

Sam and Elizabeth ran the rest couple of steps to the car and got in. Sam turned his head to look at Elizabeth who was grinning from ear to ear looking at him too.

“Let’s get going, babe,” He said as he started the car.

Elizabeth relaxed against the seat and held onto his free hand as she mumbled,” Let’s go,”

~~

Three years ago

“Elizabeth, help me with the groceries, please!” Ella, Elizabeth’s mother called out.

In her room on the second floor, Elizabeth was lying on her bed, staring at the ceiling. She was day dreaming again about her Ex. Sam Gerard.

She huffed in frustration; it’s been a year since both of them chose separate ways. Was it her fault? She closed her eyes; I will not blame myself again. We are oceans apart.

About a year ago, Zachariah Renaldo told his family that he will need to travel to Australia. The family was fine with the idea as long as it was temporary, Elizabeth remembers thinking that he meant he was going away for a couple of weeks and then coming back, however he had other plans.