Chapter 13

Ha... Ha... Ha...

It's been awhile, hasn't it?

READ A/N AT BOTTOM PLEASE!

Chapter 13

            I watched the stranger before me, counting as she quickly tapped her heel clad toe on the floor. Her legs were crossed, one tucked perfectly across the other. With her fingers laced tightly and her auburn hair set pin straight, I couldn't help but not trust her. Her perfection made me uncomfortable, therefore I knew she was not the one I wanted.

            Anton fell silent after the last question and glanced over at me. Still adjusting, I did my best to convey my feelings through my eyes. However, he seemed to easily read me and sighed, turning back to the young women before us.

            "Thank you for your time; we'll contact you." I watched the dejected look that crossed her face, and I honestly tried to feel compassionate, but it didn't come. She just wasn't the one I wanted.

            "I'm sorry," I whispered as the door shut behind her and Anton sighed, running a hand down his face.

            "It's alright, sweetheart." But I knew it wasn't. He was exhausted, especially after the rouge attack a few days earlier. Everything had to be strengthened afterword’s, to make sure such an attack didn't happen again. Anton had taken on extra shifts, getting less and less sleep each day; I would know. I still didn't feel much anymore, but what I did was strong and only towards him. That's why I had been waiting for him to return to the house each night, sitting against my door and listening for him to walk into his. I couldn't relax until I knew he was back and safe.

            I looked down as he leaned back in his seat, staring down at my hands. I played with my fingers, doing anything to avoid his eyes. He was irritated and disappointed with me, I knew that; disappointed that I couldn't simply pick someone to tutor me. A teenage girl in the pack had a mate –Whatever that is – that worked at the public high school and he had come through on finding some teachers. However, on top of that, Anton had placed an Ad as he called it for a personal assistant and wanted me there when he interviewed them. He had said he wanted to make sure I was comfortable and willing to work with the person.

            I didn't see the point in telling him that I wasn't comfortable with anyone anymore; well, except him. Regret for letting me attend to interviews was apparent on his face.

            "This isn't necessary," I finally whispered. "You don't need to worry about my education." At first, I didn't receive an answer. The silence that slammed into us was heavy and made me cringe internally. Finally, after a good five minutes, a book was placed in front of me by Anton. I looked down at it, scanning my eyes across the title.

              "Can you read that?" his voice was fierce. I shook my head, biting my lip as I realized what a fool he would finally see I was. A strange heaviness started prickling behind my eyes, and before I knew it, they were quickly dampening. "Do you want to?" I stared at it, recognizing the picture easily but losing it on the written title.

             "Yes," I breathed, quickly reaching up to my cheek as I felt something wet roll down it. With a gasp of surprise, I realized that I was crying. A drop of moisture rested on my fingertips and it gave me a shot of surprise. I hadn't cried in... I didn't even know how long. Ten years, at least.