My Baby Shot Me Down

Chapter 32

When the initial shock wore off, I lunged at Serenity. "Where's Thomas, and what did you do to him?"

Just as I was about to wrap my hands around her long, graceful neck and choke the answers out of her, Sebastian shot me again. This time the dart landed right between my shoulder blades where I couldn't reach to pull it out even if I wanted to.

I just wasn't that bendy.

"Stop it, you moron," Serenity snarled, smacking Sebastian on the shoulder. "You're only going to piss her off even more than she already is."

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner!

Sebastian jumped in before I had a chance to respond. "No, you're wrong. Look at her eyes, they're all glazed over and turning red. I got her real good this time."

He was right. He did get me good. But not in the way he thought.

Yes. My eyes probably were glazed over, that's true. But it wasn't because of whatever concoction he'd put in the dart. It was more like because he used to be someone I thought I could trust. I pretty much came here expecting Serenity to attack me, but not Sebastian. He might as well have stabbed me in the back.

And he was also right about something else. My eyes were red. And getting even redder by the second. Again, it didn't have anything to do with being shot.

It's called the sting of betrayal.

I just stood there in utter disbelief as Sebastian continued to prance around me, waving his hands in front of my face like I'd volunteered to be the subject in one of his magic performances.

I didn't.

Standing this close, I couldn't help noticing the way his deep violet eyes perfectly matched the tie and vest of his elegant black tuxedo as he attempted to hypnotize me.

"She's completely under my spell," he whispered more to Serenity than me. "She bought all the lies I spewed about being sent to help her. All I've got to do now is use my powers of deception to convince her that she's a loyal and faithful servant of the Dark Ones, and then get her to give up her soul just like all the others."

"And if she doesn't?" Serenity inquired, arching a perfect black eyebrow.

"If I cannot convert her," Sebastian began to explain in a wicked voice, "I'll have to go even further inside her mind, turn it to mush, and then I will simply kill her." He paused to stand dangerously near me, our faces mere inches apart with his back turned toward a crowd of stunned witches. "What a shame. If only I'd had more time, I could've gotten her to fall in love with me. What I wouldn't give for just one kiss." Closing his eyes, he leaned forward and puckered his lips.

"Not so fast, Don Juan." Wrapping my mind around the closest cauldron, I lifted it into the air and yanked it forward. "Kiss this." I barely had time to duck out of the way before it slammed into his face. "You probably shouldn't announce your power until after you're sure it will work on me."

Body slumped on the floor and covered in ooze, I levitated over Sebastian – eyes locked on my next target. "Release Thomas."

When my words failed to enlist any reaction, I launched another cauldron; this one the size of a six feet deep, round swimming pool. Without really aiming, it careened right past Serenity's head, landing smack in the center of the percussion section and sending every member of the orchestra screaming and ducking for cover.

With the exception of the Salem Sisters, of course.

Their too-tight dresses must've restricted their unexpected need to make a fast getaway. The resulting explosion of green slime, now pouring down directly upon their heads, made the three of them look like the unwitting contestants in a Nickelodeon game show.

"Consider that a warning shot," I hissed savagely. "I won't miss next time."

Serenity tilted her head to one side thoughtfully. Without saying a single word she motioned with one arm. I caught movement out of the corner of my eye and turned to watch a false wall at the back of the stage fold in on itself, exposing two separate groups of people. One consisted of adults, while the other consisted of teenagers. Both appeared to contain at least twenty-five bodies each, but while the group of adults on the right stood in terrified silence—all huddled and bound together with thick rope as they stared with wide eyes at the audience—the group of teenagers on the left remained free of restraints and oddly motionless. Almost as if in a trance.

But there was also something worse, much worse.

The group on the left had all been turned into zombies. Even if I was the only one who could see them for what they really were.

A bunch of rotting, stinking corpses.

At the center of the mass of bodies on the right, one face in particular stood out from the rest.

A trembling voice called out in disbelief. "Chaos?"

My knees almost buckled from shock. "Mom?"

Serenity smiled at me serenely. "It's your move."

_______________________________________________________

Show that little star thingy some love if you liked this chapter!!!

Thanks so much for reading!!!