46: Vren

I gave my brother a year to try to win Mira's heart.

It's been more than a year since I admitted to myself that I was already falling for that undoubtedly crazy yet undeniably beautiful and kindhearted woman. It's been too long since the realization that no matter how hard I try to hide what I've been feeling, there was no denying that after years of shutting everyone else, the time came for me to welcome the person who would change everything for me, the woman who would rearrange my messed-up life.

I miss you, Mira.

****

"Hey, we're already here."

It had been too long a day for Mira. After that tiny escapade of ours at the mall, with a remembrance in the form of a sweet photo, I made it a point to take her home. Marahan kong tinapik ang braso niya dahil tulog na tulog siya habang bumabiyahe kami pauwi.

She opened her eyes, yawned, and said, "Ang bilis naman. Inaantok pa ako, e."

I smiled. Para talaga siyang bata. "Then continue sleeping in your own place. O baka naman gusto mong buhatin pa kita?"

She stuck her tongue out at me, making me laugh. "Asa ka." She clambered, reaching for her teddy bear from the backseat of the car.

I turned the engine off, got out, and opened the car door for her. Lumabas naman siya bitbit ang stuffed toy sabay ngiti sa akin. Her smile was shy and awkward.

"Good night, Sir Vren. Thank you ulit dito kay MB."

"You look funny," I told her, grinning. "Good night, dimwit."

"Aba, sinong dimwit, ha? Freak!" She narrowed her eyes at me, trying hard not to smile.

"Pssh. Crazyhead," I retorted.

"Para tayong baliw dito." She rolled her eyes. "Good night na talaga! See you tomorrow, sir."

"See you tomorrow, Mira." This time, I gave her a genuine smile. "I had a great time."

"Ditto." Then she seized one of her teddy bear's arms and waved it. "Bye-bye, Mr. Montevilla. Ingat ka."

With a smile on my face, I drove back to my unit.

****

When I was back at my own place, I instantly noticed my phone, unattended on my bed. I must've enjoyed the whole day so much, its absence didn't even occur to me.

Kaagad ko namang tiningnan ito, wondering if I missed any important call or message. But to my surprise, there were only three unread messages and five missed calls. Already a low count by my standards, what was more surprising was that they all came from the same number.

All from Dad.

Agad naman akong napaisip. My father was someone who seldomly kept in touch. Minsan lang kaming mag-usap. Being a stern, silent, and serious man, kapag ginusto ka niyang kausapin, malamang ay may malalim na dahilan.

From: Dad

Vren, I need to talk to you.