No Matter What The Cost, I Will Prove You Wrong

Chapter One

Lieutenant Commander Kelihan Marya Barricade is you average Military soldier. She liked being in the woods, ocean, and more importantly being outside. Kelihan had red hair, tan skin and fierce gray eyes. Kelihan was running through the woods when she stumbled upon Private Nicky Lee rustling through the bushes looking for edible roots.

“Lieutenant Commander Barricade, Private Lee I got a mission for you,” said Lady-Jay walking up behind the two.

“Ma’am,” they said in unison as the saluted her.

“I got some new friends for the both of you. You will be working with Sergeant Hauser, Lieutenant O’Hara, Corporal Hinton, and Private Weems,” Lady-Jay said, “Oh and have you two met before?”

“Our paths crossed a couple of times, but we never really got to know each other,” Kelihan said.

“Well this is an opportunity to get to know one another. As far as I can see, you both like the outdoors,” at that Lady-Jay turned and left.

“Well looks like were friends now,” said Nicky.

“You almost make that sound like it’s a bad thing,” Kelihan responded.

“No, I didn’t mean it like that. It’s a good thing that we’re friends now actually. You don’t seem stuck up like all of the other female soldiers around the base,” he replied kind of feeling bad about how he made it sound.

“Well I’m not “all” the female soldiers on the base. So, where are you from? Let me guess, Colorado? Texas?” Kelihan asked.

“Neither, I had grown up in Brooklyn, New York. What about you?”

“I grew up in Hanalei, Kauai. I always loved surfing and just being outside in the nice weather that we have there.”

 “Well you’re lucky to have grown up. What made you decide to join the army?” Nicky asked definitely wondering why she chose to join the army.

“My family kicked me out at the age of fifth-teen. When that happened, I felt abandoned and alone. Yet they stayed by my side when I was raped at the age of thirteen. I needed to find out who was really there for me. Joining the army made finding that out easier. Being out on the battlefield and getting shot at and almost stepping on landmines. You know all the stuff that’s life threaten out there and people who actually risk their lives to save you. It makes me feel like someone is really there for me,” Kelihan answered.

“Oh my god how could someone do such a thing to you? And I know how you feel about people not being there for you. How did you make money to survive?” Nicky said feeling sad for what she had to go through at such a young age.

“Prostitution, I almost got caught a couple of times. After nearly being caught for the third time, I decided to lay low for a while and hid in the sewers,” she replied.

“Did you really? And wait you hid in the sewers?”

“Yeah I regret it so much though, and yeah it may smell bad but I find the sewers to be fun to explore.”

Stopping in his tracks Nicky turned to her, Kelihan looked at him confused. Nicky closed the space between them and hugged her tightly. Kelihan was a little shocked by the motion but hugged him back. Nicky only hugged her tighter. Soon he pulled away he noticed Kelihan’s blush.

“We should head to the chopper, and next time we have leave at the same time you should come with me to Brooklyn and we’ll go sewer plunging,” Nicky suggested with a chuckle.

“Alright sounds like a plan!” Kelihan nodded happily and they both began to walk towards the landing pads. They could hear the sounds of the chopper. Getting to the landing pads and seeing their new friends their facial expressions changed.