Chapter Thirty Nine

----------------------------------------

Dedication: Vivian_love for being an awesome fan. Thanks for your support. :)

PHOTO OF RACHEL ON THE SIDE.  ------------->>>>

---------------------------------------------

"B-but..." I trailed off, my eyes wide in confusion. I stared around at Luke, who just casually was looking around as though this was a normal thing he did. "You're m-meant to be dead!"

She nodded, smiling slightly. "Yes. I went into Witness Protection."

"Like Ben on Prison Break?" I blurted without thinking. I ducked my head in embarrassment. I didn't mean to say that out loud. Luke chuckled from beside me and I looked up, mock-glaring at him. He just flashed me a grin. Momentarily, I was dazed. He hadn't smiled like that for well... years.

She blinked at me for a few times. "I don't know, I haven't seen that show."

I frowned and again, without thinking, said, "Shame on you."

Luke snorted and rolled his eyes. "Of course you meet your mother who was meant to have died several years ago and the first thing you do is interrogate her whether she's seen Prison Break or not."

"It's a serious matter, Luke." I scolded. I mentally shook myself and went back onto the original subject. "So... why did you go into Witness Protection?"

She sighed deeply through her nose. "You're not going to like this."

"Damn right she won't." Luke muttered, earning a disapproving stare from Mum. Oh wow... it was really weird to even think that. To be saying Mum again...

"I had an affair."

I snapped my eyes to her again, as she successfully pulled me out of my mental rant. I gaped at her for a few moments, my mouth hanging open unattractively. "What?"

She nodded gravely. "One I'm very ashamed of. Your Father and I had been fighting, so we were on a break. Do you remember that time I went away for a while? On work leave?"

"No," I admitted honestly, trying to recall that time. It was too long ago and I hadn't thought anything of it. The memories didn't linger in my mind.

"Ah..." she trailed off awkwardly. "Anyway, I met this handsome, charming guy. Well, at first he was charming. That was before I saw his true personality."

"Okay...?" I said slowly. "Who was it?"

"I'm getting there," she chuckled softly, shifting the weight from her right foot to her left. She folded her arms across her chest, biting her lip. Her actions made her look like me. The way she nervously nibbled her lip and ducked her head. She looked up, sadness clear in her eyes. She looked withdrawn, now that I took a moment to actually see her. "So, we had this fling. I thought I was in love with him. But that's when he got obsessive."

"This sounds like something from a movie." I muttered, my voice flat.

Luke glanced at me, but I didn't return his look. I just stared at her. I couldn't believe she'd do that to my Dad. What type of person was she? She cheated on James and then told Luke to kill my boyfriend's Dad. Yeah, she's a lovely role model, huh?