things we said; i love you

"It's just another night, / and I'm staring at the moon. / I saw a shooting star / and thought of you. / I sang a lullaby / by the waterside and knew / if you were here, I'd sing to you. / You're on the other side / as the skyline splits in two. / Miles away from seeing you, / but I can see the stars from America. / I wonder, can you see them too?"

The lights outside are shining brightly into the window of my room. It's nearly three am, and the cars are still speeding down the road, as if there's something dreadfully important where they're going, and who knows; maybe there is.

My iPod changes songs as it sits in it's dock. I recognize the piano intro as a We The Kings song, although which one it is exactly is lost on me. Once the words begin, it clicks. I sing along, more off key than usual. "You and I, we're like fireworks and symphonies exploding in the sky."

I toss around on the large bed that I had so foolishly bought a few months back. I should have realized that nobody ever comes to L.A. with me, and I didn't need such a big bed for just one person.

Today was nice. It was calm. Having a few days off before we begin our tour, and being able to spend those days in Los Angeles? It's basically a recipe for perfection. The thing is- I can't fall asleep.

Turning onto my stomach, I grab my laptop from the nightstand and hope for the best as I log on. Clicking on the Skype icon, I log into the site and see who's on. My sister, Louis, Nick, and Zayn are all available. Doing the math, I realize it's eight am in England, and I decide that Louis is probably just playing video games.

I choose to ring him, and he accepts almost immediately. In no time at all, I'm staring at the smiling face of my gray eyed best friend. "Hello."

"What time is it there? Should you even be awake?" Louis asks me, pushing his hair out of his face. He's in his pajamas still, with his knees tucked to his chest and a cup (of what I assume is tea) in his hand.

"Almost three." I say, running a hand over my face.

"Holy hell, mate. Get to bed." He scolds me, taking a sip of his drink. I hear a voice off screen, and watch as Louis looks to the mystery person. "S'just Harry. He can't sleep."

"Who's there?" I ask, leaning forward as if doing that would give me a better look into Louis' living room.

"Liam's over. He spent the night last night."

"That's fun."

"Not really." Louis states. "He's all mopey, even after almost two weeks of being single."

Wait, what? "What? Liam," I address him personally even though he's not on screen. "You and Dani broke up?"

"You didn't know?" Louis asks incredulously. I watch as Liam sits down beside Louis, scooting into the frame.

"No, I didn't."

"I was going to tell you, but you've been busy with Niall." Liam shrugs. He looks worse than me in the tired department. I cannot believe that I didn't realize he was upset, even after all this time. It's not like I haven't seen him. Am I really that caught up in Niall?

"I'm so, so, so sorry for not being there and paying attention to you. I feel awful. How are you exactly?"

"I'm alright. Just bored, really. I don't want to go out, because nameless dance partners and one night stands are not what I need right now. And I've always hung out with Dani whenever I was bored. I'm not used to having nothing to do."

"Hey!" Louis interjects, sounding slightly offended. "I have kept you plenty occupied. I'm not boring, you jerk."

I laugh at that, but focus back to Liam. "Zayn will probably do things with you. We've got two days of vacation. I'm sure he'll go somewhere with you."