Chapter Twenty

We were sat in the living room eating some Chinese food and my stomach was in knots. It had been a few hours since the meeting but I couldn't stop playing it over in my head. 

I fiddled with my fingers, not having much of an appetite. 

Roger spoke up, looking concerned, "Stop thinking about it, Nat. You will be okay."

I frowned. 

"This is why I didn't want you going to that meeting. You're getting stressed out but I promise I won't let anything happen to you."

I looked to him with big eyes, slowly starting to relax, "Promise?"

"I promise. Our military is far too advanced, if the native species become capable of resisting the radiation we have plenty of other options to defend ourselves with."

I relaxed at his reassuring words. Maybe it would all be okay. I just had to keep my mind away from thinking about it constantly. It wasn't healthy to focus on the negative. 

I picked up my food and began eating again. I turned on the TV for some mindless droning. It would keep the bad thoughts at bay. 

When I was full I took my plate as well as Rogers that was sitting on the coffee table. I sat back on the couch and laid my head on his shoulder. He positioned himself so that his arm wrapped around me and my head was on his chest as he reclined. I sighed in content. There is nothing like laying in the arms of someone you care about. 

The sun was setting but neither of us moved to turn on the light. I didn't want to move away from this feeling. I felt warm and fuzzy and no one had ever made me feel that way before. What is he doing to me?

His fingertips traced down my spine and I crawled up his body, meeting his gaze and pressing my lips against his. 

He placed his hands on my hips and deepened the kiss. But the kiss was different, less urgent. It felt emotional somehow, more affectionate. 

We pulled apart for a breath and his lips dragged down the side of my throat, "What are you doing to me?" he mumbled, echoing my thoughts from before. 

I tried and failed to hold back my smile. 

I have no idea what is going on with us, but I think I like it. 

I guided his face back to me and he pressed his lips against mine. A soft tingle spread throughout my body. This man.

** 

I woke to the sun in my eyes. I stretched my arms and legs and realized I wasn't hitting another body. 

Where's Roger? 

I sat up and peered around the room, coming up empty. 

Must be at work. 

I stood and stripped, took a shower and got ready for the day before I realized I'd never called Emi about our date. 

I dialed her number and she answered straight away.

"Oh my god you're alive!" 

I chuckled, "I am, sorry I never called. I haven't really had access to a telephone."

"What do you mean you haven't had a telephone where have you been? Tell me everything!"

"Okay so he ended up taking me outside the city--"

"What! Smith's never done that for me, where? Where!"

"Em, he took me to the mother-fuckin beach!"

She made a squeak, "The beach?"

"Yes, we got food and ate on a blanket on the sand and the sun was setting and oh my god, it was perfect."