[4] Skin

Just rise above this

Kill them with your kindness

Ignorance is blindness

They're the ones that stand to lose

'Cause they don't even know you

All they see is scars

They don't see the angel

Living in your heart

Let them find the real you

Buried deep within

Let them know with all you've got

That you are not your skin

Sixx a.m ~ Skin
* * *

''Mom, Scott has already had his breakfast but he tend to want—,"

Mom grabs my shoulder and smiles at me. "Kaylee, darlin'. Calm down. I know how to take care of a child, I am a mother after all.'' I sigh and try to relax before walking over to Scott and kissing him on his head. I walk down the hall and grab my bag and phone and walk out. I unlock my car and climb in.

When I get to campus, I park my car and get out. I get myself a coffee at the coffee stand before walking inside. I make my way to the auditorium and take my seat at the back. The class flies by and when the professor leaves the room, everybody stands up and follow suit. As I'm packing up my stuff, a hand squeezes my shoulder and I jump in fright.

''Kaylee, hi.'' I glare at Gale Thompson. We went to high school together and I'd been pissed when I found out he was also going to study Music arts. First day of our senior year in high school, he's asked me out but I said no and since then, he'd been tailing me. ''I heard about your sister, I'm so sorry." He sighs out loud and looks at the ceiling before his eyes return to mine and he smiles. "I'm here if you want me. Or need me...in any way"

I stare at him. "Back off, Thompson.'' I grab my bag and walk down the small steps before walking out.
When I climb in my car, my phone buzzes. I grab it from my bag and read mom's message.

I took Scott back to your apartment. He's been crying for his spider man toy. Could you get it?

I bite my lip as I drive through Jenna and Patrick's neighborhood. When I park the car in the driveway, I take a deep breath before getting out of the car. With shaky hands, I pull out my keys and unlock the door.

Just go in. Grab the toy. Get out.

I make it straight to the stairs, run upstairs and into Scott's old bedroom. I see the toy sitting by the window and grab it. I close the door to the bedroom and hurry back to the stairs but stop in my tracks when I hear a noise coming from one of the bedrooms. I shut my eyes and take a deep breath as I move over to the room. I push the door open and gasp. Zach is sitting on the bed, his head is down and he's hugging an object to his chest.

"Zach." I take a step in to the room. His head rise slowly and his glassy eyes meets mine.

"What are you doing here?" I take a step back when I hear his hard voice. His eyes are stone cold as he stares at me.

"I...Scott needed his toy..." I squeeze the toy in my hand when a tear runs down his face. He wipes it away aggressively and stands up. His shirt is wrinkled and his hair is in a mess. My eyes travel around his form before I look at his face and notice his eyes are bloodshot red and he looks exhausted.

''I-, This did not happen, if-,"

I cut him off, ''Zach, it's okay. It's okay to cry.''

''This never happened.'' He repeats in a hard voice.

He pushes past me and walks out of the door and then a second later, I hear the front door slam shut. I sigh and walk downstairs, locking the door before getting into my car with Scott's toy.

* * *

I look out of the kitchen window as the rain pour down quite heavily. Mom had left an hour ago when Scott had fallen asleep. Zach hadn't come home yet and he didn't text or call to let me know if he would be staying out the whole night. As I sip on my green tea, sighing when the warm liquid flows down my throat, I hear the front door open and shut. I look over my my shoulder when I hear footsteps approaching. Zach is soaked from tip to toe when he rounds the corner.

''You're awake,'' He states in a flat tone.

Obviously.

''Yeah,'' I say when I notice that he is drunk. Great.

''W–where's Scott?'' He asks as he moves closer and leans his arms on the counter.

''Sleeping,'' I tell the drunk man in front of me and finish my tea. I walk over to the sink and clean my cup. When I'm done, I wipe my hands dry and make my way out of the kitchen when Zach grabs my wrist and pulls me into his chest. Our chests touch and as his finger move around my wrist.

His eyes move over my face. From eye to eye, down the bridge of my nose, to my cheeks and then to my mouth. When his eyes meets mine again, he leans in an inch. ''Beautiful,'' He whispers quietly before he backs up, let's go of my wrist and stumbles out of the kitchen.

Vote|Comment

Hugsies and Kissy faces,

heaarts