Not Alone

[unedited]

A/N: Well hey! I've read all of your comments. You seem to have a good idea of what you think will happen. So I won't rant too much! Enjoy this chapter, and I WANT YOU TO LEAVE A COMMENT.

~ Autophobia: the fear of being alone.

Chapter VI

 There's a moment in your life where you think: "I've never been so scared."

Maybe you've said it a lot. Scarier things come along and introduce a whole other level of fear to your mind, making your body react in various ways.

There's shaking, a pounding heart, hyperventilation, clammy hands, and the worst of all: Actualization. That's where you know the possibilities, the possible outcomes; how everything could end up. Your fear has never-ending roots. It's mortifies you; even sometimes scars you. It eats you alive.

Unfortunately, I was dealing with all stages of panic, fear, and dread. I was a mess, rocking on the bathroom floor, trying to calm myself. Of course I was here alone; God knows where Jeff was. It was hard to be here, going through all of this, alone. I hated being alone.

I snap out of my thoughts the second realization smacks me. It has been over five minutes now.

It was time.

I get to my trembling feet and face the sink, where all three tests align in a row. I was hesitant about going over to them, because I didn't want to find the news by myself. I wanted Jeff here with me, so I know that no matter what happens, I'm not in this alone. Especially from the beginning. That's when I'll need the help most.

"Suck it up, Kate," I breathe to myself. "You can do this. You're okay. It's all okay,"

I grab the first one and slowly open my eyes.

Positive.

I feel my stomach turn.

"That was just the first one, it's okay, it could be wrong, it's okay..."

I grab the second one.

Positive.

Tears spill down my cheeks as I feel my heart sink. I knew my fate already but still decide to check the last test.

With all of my hope crumbling into the ground, stripping me of all rights to proceed on normally, the test reads:

Positive.

I'm pregnant.

~*~

It was the second I heard the door open when I realized I had been in a trance for almost an hour now. Doing nothing, lying in bed, using the blank wall ahead of me as my canvas for my thoughts to roam and take me under. I was hopeless; gone; letting the pain eat me alive willingly, because I couldn't fight it away any longer. It was too obvious to try to ignore. I was done.

Jeff walks into the room and stops once he sees me slumped on the floor with the bed against my back, tears springing down the sides of my face. He could tell right away he was in for bad news; I could see it in his eyes. Yet he just stands there and waits for me to tell him, which hurt a lot more with each passing second. He knew it was coming but I knew it was something he couldn't believe was true.

I couldn't bring myself to say it. So I toss him all three pregnancy tests, that eventually land on the floor below him, right beside his feet. He leans over, studies them all, and then after a few seconds of paralysing shock, he lets out a long breath and makes his way over.