Chapter 1 ~ Havi

Chapter 1 ― Havi
Seven months later…

“And this was the new hit of Demi Lovato and you heard it here, on Crash FM, the radio station that thinks of you. This is Joy Daniels, live for you and no one else!” She said, her mouth so close to the microphone and the cheeky grin on her face. I just smiled at her from the other side of the glass.

Joy was a very special person, so unique and I loved her. She was tall and very pretty, with long blonde hair and big hazel eyes, that everlasting smile on her face all the time and so much energy that it was impossible to feel bored or down next to her. It wasn’t weird that she was the star from Crash FM, one of the new radio stations in London.

I, on the other hand, was just a normal nineteen-year-old girl, who worked at the radio station to help her pay for her studies at Uni. I was shorter than Joy, my hair was a curly brown reddish colour and my eyes were hazel too. Plain. Simple. I didn’t have a great body though Joy always said she would kill for a waist like mine. But as it happened with your family, you couldn’t believe your best friends; they were compelled to love you even if you were a new kind of monster. Even if I turned into a zombie, I knew Joy would have found something nice to say, something like my eyes were brighter since I became a walking dead.

My job at the radio station was just being Joy’s assistant. She got it for me when I told her I needed money and it was great. We always had a good time, sometimes she even made me talk to her audience so I was kind of known in her program, I met plenty of celebrities since she made some interviews from time to time. It was great and I loved music so much that for me it was a real pleasure to help her with the song selection every day.

“I hear you, tell me your name, love,” Joy talked to the mic again after I mouthed to her that she needed to pick up some lines.

“Hi, I’m Stephanie. Oh my God! I love your show! The songs are always amazing!” A very excited girl squeaked from the other side. Joy winced at her high tone but kept smiling. I was laughing at the other side of the glass in the DJ booth.

“Why thank you, Stephanie. Tell me, what can I do for you today?” Joy looked at me, an amused smile but her eyes were murderous for me laughing at her. She really hated annoying voices like the girl’s, but I enjoyed it so much when she had to be nice with one of those kinds of people.

“Can you, please, please, please, please play some One Direction!” She begged and it was my turn to wince.

Okay, I didn’t exactly hate One Direction, I was just tired of them. They were everywhere! TV, radio, magazines, stores, the streets. Everywhere! It was like the media was forcing you to like them but I didn’t see anything special on them. After all, they were just five lads living the dream. I didn’t want to know anything else about them, every time their faces appeared on my telly I changed the channel, I never bought a magazine that they were in –and it was bloody difficult to find a magazine without One Direction in it–, I changed the radio station when a song of them was playing and things like that. I didn’t want them invading my life. I didn’t even know their names.

It was Joy’s turn to laugh at me. She knew I hated when someone asked for One Direction because that meant I had to listen to the whole song. In fact I believed that when someone asked for a song by them, it made her day.

“Oh sure, Stephanie. Me and Havi would love to play some One Direction for you. Any song in particular?” She asked, that damn grin on her face and her eyes on me. I just narrowed my eyes.

“What Makes You Beautiful!” The girl screamed and we winced again. Her voice was so high! I wanted to cry. I was so damn tired of that little song.