Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Dinner at the Stevenson's was not the same. What was usually a relaxed and enjoyable part of the family's day was now a tense and uncomfortable part. The three family members sat at the large kitchen table pretending to be interested in their food. The silence that travel throughout the house was suffocating.

Eighteen year old Ashton Stevenson shuffled uncomfortably in his seat, twirling the saucy spaghetti around on his fork. He could feel his mother's piercing gaze on him, but he refused to look up. Jack, Ashton's father, cleared his throat, which seem to ring like a gun shot in the quiet house. The tension in the atmosphere was so thick you could cut it with a knife.

"Son are you sure?" Stacey, Ashton's mother, asked her son softly, finding it difficult to process the information. She was a bit surprise by her son's announcement. Sure he'd never shown interest in a girl but neither had he a boy.

Ashton thought about it. Was he sure? Of course he was. In all of his eighteen years of life he'd never had any emotional or sexual feelings toward the opposite sex so that had to stand for something. That and the fact that he's been in love with one particular man every since his first year of high school which was three years ago. He was more than sure.

"I'm positive mom" Ashton replied , looking down at his food.

The sound of a chair scraping against the marble floor had Ashton jumping in fright. He looked up in time to see his dad retreating figure. Tears spranged into his blue eyes, threatening to fall.

He sighed sadly , "He hates me."

Stacey shook her head at her husband's stubbornness. She knew that he didn't hate Ashton, he could never do that. He adored his son. He just didn't like the fact that he hadn't pick up on it, that he hadn't notice.

She reached across the large table and touch her son's hand. Ashton looked up at his mother questionably.

"Your father dose not hate you sweetie." She assured her son "He's just being stubborn. Give him a few days."

"Sure mom." Ashton mumbled devastatingly "I think I'll just head to bed now"

Stacey watched her son's slumped figure walk away from the dinner table.

Sighing heavily, the middle age mother whispered, "Jack you better fix this."

Slowly Ashton made his way up the stairs to his room. Closing and locking his door, he plopped down on his bed, almost immediately the tears began to stream down his face. He pushed his head into his pillow to muffle the sounds of his dreadful sobs.

"Son?"

Choking down a sob, Ashton jumped at the sound of his father's deep voice coming from behind his closed door. Not really in the mood to talk to his dad or anybody in the matter, Ashton decided to ignore his dad.

Ashton?" Jack tried again

Again Ashton ignored his dad.

Getting worried Jack twisted the knob on his son's door. His worry only increased when he realized that it was lock. He banged on the door, "Ashton open this door right now!"

Hearing the worry in his dad voice Ashton decided to answer him.

"Calm down dad I'm fine. I just don't feel like talking right now." He said , his voice hoarse from crying.

Jack sighed ,"Son I know you think that I'm upset with you, but I'm not. I'm upset with myself. Ashton I love you. You're my only son, my only child. I don't want you to get hurt."

He waited for his son's reply. He heard shuffling on the other side of the door and a few seconds later the door swung open.

Jack took in his son's puffy eyes and tear stained face. Instantly, with the need to protect his child, he pulled his son into the safety of his big arms. He held his son tight as Ashton cried his heart out.