1

(Cale on the side---->       so adorable!)

  I pushed open the door already accustomed to the sight I would see. It’s been a week since Cale’s birth and Ann’s death. The shock has worn off and I spend my nights in tears. The days I spend at Jake and Cale’s flat taking care of them both and trying to sort through her stuff. It’s hard to walk into a flat that was once her home. To see Jake an absolute wreck, vacantly staring at his week old son, it kills me. I have to be strong for them though. Jake will eventually have to move on for the good of his son. It’s sad that we are the only people affected by her death. Annalise’s parents died in a car crash when she was 18 and finishing up high school. With Jake and I’s help, we helped her through that rough time although it still hurt her.

          As I walked into the flat today though there was something different. Or I guess someone different. Instead of seeing Jake sitting on the couch holding baby Cale and surrounded by last night’s bottles there was a different boy doing it. This new guy was staring intently at Cale who was dozing in his arms.

          “Where’s Jake?” I asked quietly and shut the door behind me. The blond boys head snapped up and I instantly recognized him as Niall, Jake’s best friend. Most girls would have screamed or asked for a photo but after this last week I didn’t give a rat’s ass how famous this guy was.

          “He’s asleep. I made him take a nap. Who are you?” He said in a thick Irish accent. 

          “I’m Emily. I was Ann’s best friend.” I choked back the tears that wanted to surface. That was the first time I had to say that to anyone. The boy’s face instantly became even softer if that’s possible.

          “I’m so sorry about Ann. But I want to thank you, for helping Jake. He’s an absolute mess right now and you must be the one that’s taking care of him and Cale right now.” His face showed sympathy and gratitude. I nodded in response and moved from my spot at the doorway. I grabbed the dirty bottles on the coffee table and put them in the sink. I was about to start washing them when a hand stopped my own. I turned and saw Niall standing behind me with a still sleeping Cale cradled against his chest.

          “I’ll do it.” He said. “You look exhausted too.” I readily complied and accepted Cale then collapsed into a kitchen chair. “I’m Niall by the way.” He introduced himself as he scrubbed the bottles. I admired Cale’s tiny curled fists and answered.

          “I know.” I openly told him. He smirked bemused.

          “Oh so you know of the band?” I nodded. “So you’re a fan I presume.” Again I nodded. “Then why aren’t you screaming or asking for a picture? Not to sound conceited but that’s usually what happens.” A puzzled expression took over his face.

          “After this week through hell and back it doesn’t seem that important to me that you’re famous.” I honestly answered him. Before we could continue our quiet conversation a messy looking Jake stumbled into the kitchen.

          “How are you?” I asked him.

          “Fine.” He answered although I could tell it was a lie.

          “Mate how about you sit down and I’ll make you some tea yeah?” Niall prompted him. Jake sat down across from me and stared at his son.

          “Want to hold him?” I offered him but he shook his head no in response. I was a bit put off by his response. What parent wouldn’t want to hold his or her newborn child? Especially when they were as adorable as Cale was. I snuggled the infant back into my chest and sat in silence as Niall finished washing the bottles and Jake stared at his tea.

          “Drink it mate.” Niall said sitting down next to him.

          “I’m just not thirsty okay?” Jake snapped at the blond boy. It was extremely unlike Jake to be rude to anybody and to lie about his feelings but losing your girlfriend of 3 and a half years does this to you I guess. “Can you guys just leave maybe? Come back tomorrow alright? I need to be alone.” I shared a look with Niall who looked as confused as I did. “And take Cale with you.” He added. That was the last straw.

          “Jake what the hell is going on? You already lied to us about being ‘fine’ and now you’re asking us to leave and take your son with us? I know this is hard and it hurts but you are not the only one in pain.” I stopped myself before I could go any farther. We were both in a fragile state. Jake looked at me with his brown eyes shining with tears.         

          “I just need to be completely alone for a while; to heal myself, for no one else to rely on me while I compose myself.” I nodded my head in response and conceded to his wishes. After gathering some things Cale would need for a night with me I left the flat with Niall.

          “What do we do now?” He asked me. We were standing in the parking lot of the housing complex with Cale in his carrier on the ground between us.

          “We say our goodbyes and I take Cale with me back to my flat and we both check on Jake tomorrow.” I said and turned to open my car door.

          “Hold on.” Niall grabbed my arm to stop me. “Who says you get to take Cale with you? He never specified who got to take him for the night.”

          “I’m his godmother so it’s obviously me who gets to take him. Plus he’s known me longer.”

          “Well I’m his godfather so you’re argument is invalid. And he’s a week old I highly doubt he can recognize you. I’m taking him.”

          “If you weren’t aware you are a highly known pop star. Do you even have a flat in London or are you just staying in a hotel room? I don’t want pictures of Cale in a magazine. I’m sure your management wouldn’t like seeing you with a newborn either, especially after a seven month long tour. The rumor mill would love that. So if you’ll please let go of me I’m taking Cale to my place. We’ll meet you here tomorrow at about nine.”

          I buckled Cale’s carrier into my car and prayed that he wouldn’t wake up until I was home. We left the parking lot with a shocked Niall staring after us.