The Comtur

Sharp, metallic clang of military boots echoed throughout the rock-carved corridor. Mathiun Perai, Comtur of the newly formed Western Navy, was in a hurry. He was almost late to his appointment with the Cabinet. The winding tunnels of the Grey House, the Basileus’s underground residence on the outskirts of Nacotchtank, had always made him feel uneasy. Perai was a man of open sea and clear sky.

He entered the Chamber of Decisions, under an oval dome of solid granite. Members of the Cabinet waited for him at the seven-sided table. The Basileus himself was sitting, as usual, on his Throne of Mists, his face imperceptible under the grey hood. He welcomed the Comtur with the slightest of nods.

     "Gentlemen." Perai nodded back and took his place at the table.

     "We have reviewed your proposition, Comtur," the grey-haired Koinarch addressed him, "but the Basileus wished to discuss it with you personally."

     "I’m honoured."

     "Your report is most... intriguing, Comtur," the Basileus spoke, his voice hoarse and unsettling. "Are you certain this is the only way?"

     "Everything I read about these people confirms it. Only a show of force can change their mind. My predecessor, Comtur Bidelius, was of the same opinion, but he was never given enough resources to push his idea through. Councillor Gleann also agrees with me."

     "Still, it is quite a gamble. Are you sure the risk is worth taking?"

The Comtur nodded. "We were late for Bharata, we were late for Qin. This is the next big thing. The last big thing. And this time we can get there first. There’s as many people living on those islands as in our entire country and whatever they produce could be going through our merchants. They have copper, camphor, silk and china, even cotton that rivals our own in quality..."

     "How do you know all this?" the Demosiarch interrupted, adjusting his horn-rimmed spectacles, "I thought the Bataavians refused any trade information."

     "I have met and discussed this with a Midgardian spy in Batavian navy. His reports have been most thorough. I also have his navigation charts."

     "Won’t the Bataavians stand against us to defend their monopoly?" asked the Polemarch, a huge, bald headed man with great, white moustache. He was Perai’s direct superior and did not like the idea of Comtur going over his head to gain the Basileus’s support for the mission.

     "They are a cunning, shrewd nation, but they have been significantly weakened by the recent wars," replied Perai calmly. "They survived so long only by allying themselves with the highest bidder in the region. I don’t see any danger from their side as long as we are assertive and decisive."

     "And the Dracaland?"

     "They show no interest. They have their hands full with Qin. Bitten off more than they can chew, I dare say."

The Basileus leant back on the Throne of Mists, his dark, piercing eyes studying the Cabinet with attention.

     "And the force which you propose to use to ‘facilitate’ these negotiations..."

     "The Black Wings," the Comtur said.

     "Nonsense," said the Polemarch, "They are not ready yet! The second generation has barely left the hatcheries."

     "I would take the first hatch." Perai was adamant. "We must show the full might of our beasts, or we might not bother at all. You’ve read the reports, gentlemen. A peaceful solution has been tried time and time again. Sooner or later another power will do the same thing we’re debating here. Can we afford to lose again?"

     The Basileus steepled his fingers in thought.

     "Very well, I will grant you the Black Wings. How many do you need?"

     "Four, sir."

     "Four exactly? No more, no less?"

     "This should suffice."

     "You will have them."

     "But sir!" The Polemarch stood up in protest. "This puts the entire breeding project at jeopardy!"

     "This is what they were bred for, Polemarch. I have made a decision. This meeting is adjourned."

The Comtur stood to attention, clicked his heels and saluted. "I will not disappoint you, Basileus."