Chapter One

CHAPTER ONE

The man known as the Emperor's Hand was certainly not what people expected on first sight. He looked more like an expensive courtesan than a topless fighter and the Emperor's most trusted champion.

He was younger than most people thought he would be, and too pretty by far. He dressed in the height of fashion and looked as though he had never swung a sword in his life. To see him, he looked like yet another worthless noble living off the wealth of his family. Few would have ever thought that he had built himself up from nearly nothing, using his family name to earn the chance to serve the Emperor, but becoming the Hand on his own.

The name that he was known by was Dragon Knight. He had been an orphan even before he came to the palace, so there was no one to remember of what family line he had originated from. All anyone knew was that he was the Emperor's most loyal servant, fulfilling any need that arose.

So when he was summoned before the Emperor, he did not hesitate a moment to answer the call.

"You sent for me, Sire?" he said, kneeling before the golden throne.

"Ah, Dragon, it is good that you are here," Vedran said, looking up from the scroll he was reading to give his most loyal servant a warm and welcoming smile. "I have a little job I want you to do for me."

"Yes, Sire, what do you wish for me to do?" Dragon bowed his head, exposing his bared neck as an offering, showing the trust that he only placed in the Emperor. No one else would ever see him in such a vulnerable position.

"Hezzero has challenged Nasbeth to a duel that is to be held in the Imperial Coliseum," Vedran said. "I want you to oversee the duel, and in that capacity I am giving to you eighteen golden seals that you are to gift to whoever you think best. Each seal will allow one person with a guest to enter the Coliseum to witness the duel."

"What criteria would you like me to use for the gifting?" Dragon asked.

Vedran smiled at him. "That is up to you," he said. "I trust that whoever you choose will be the appropriate choice."

Dragon bowed his head again. "As you wish, Sire. I will ensure that those that are chosen are the best ones to view the duel."

"Whoever you choose will always be the best," Vedran said, his eyes sparking for a second with something Dragon didn't dare name.

Dragon moved gracefully forward on his knees to press a kiss against Vedran's offered ring. It was the sigil of the Empire, representative of the power that he served so faithfully. The hand that wore it was the hand of his oldest and greatest friend, his master since he was an orphan child and Vedran was Crown Prince Vedran Malvorta.

Now they were both men, one an emperor, the other his most loyal servant. They no longer had the kind of freedom they had enjoyed when they were young, but that didn't mean they weren't still close, it just meant they had to be more careful about how they showed their affection, or if there was any for others to see.

"Be careful out there," Vedran whispered just for Dragon's ears.

Dragon raised his eyes just enough to catch a glimpse of his friend's face. "Always," he breathed, knowing that Vedran felt his assent against his skin.

Dragon rose to his feet and backed slowly away from the throne, never once turning his back on the Emperor. "Your will is my command," he intoned, the traditional phrase of leaving for a servant of the Emperor.

Vedran picked up a scroll he had set aside and went back to reading it. He didn't look at Dragon again, his body screaming that he had no more interest in Dragon, but the eyes that he hid told a different story. He wanted more than anything to run to his friend, to hug him again, to laugh with him, to once again be as carefree as they were when they were children, back before the well-being of the Empire intruded on their friendship.