Chapter 7

““If the only prayer you said was thank you, that would be enough.”

Meister Eckhart

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Michael stood with Chloe and the workers in the hallway, he contemplated the sudden hostility between the cousins. He had observed the three of them on countless occasions and it was safe to say that three were almost always in sync with other. They spoke through simple glances and body language.

He remembered how they would lean in and whisper something in Violet’s ear if she was looking too lost or stiff. Before leaving the reception the previous night, Chloe had just brushed her hand across Violet’s cheek and he knew that the gesture had somehow managed to reassure Violet. He looked speculatively at Chloe and wondered again about the obvious discord between his wife and her.

He busied himself with providing his home address to the workers and gave them directions to reach his house.

“We know how to get there Mr. Falcon. It’s a bit difficult to miss,” the worker joked.

He gave a brief smile and turned away to address Chloe. “Can you find out what is taking her so long?”

She raised an eyebrow and told him in a cold voice, “I am not the one who made the comment about happy homes to shake her up.”

His face remained blank. He took a moment and steadied his anger before answering in an equally cold voice, “Let’s talk in the living room.”

He grabbed her elbow and led her firmly towards the room. He felt her stiffen and knew she wanted to wrestle her arm back but he tightened his grip a bit and she settled, not wanting to create a bigger scene than the one she had already made.

“Look I don’t know what sort of relationship you have with others, but I will not tolerate that sort of attitude. Just because you’re my wife’s cousin-”

“Ha! Wife! You bastard! You-”

“What’s going on?” Violet asked from the doorway.

Michael turned his head to look at her and almost missed from saving himself from a kick to his nether regions. He pushed aside Chloe’s knee, making her stumble into a chair.

“What is going on?” Violet asked again in a slightly panic stricken voice as she rushed into the room. She helped Chloe stand up and turned to look at him with a questioning gaze.

“Don’t ask me! I am not the one resorting to violence to deal with disagreements,” he said coldly. He narrowed his eyes at Chloe but she refused to meet his gaze.

“I’ll deal with the movers.” She shifted her gaze to look at him and he noted with some alarm that she looked distressed. She looked between him and Chloe, trying to decide which problem to deal with first but he was in no mood to babysit. He swiftly turned around without waiting for a response, kicking himself mentally for wanting her to come with him. He was almost at the end of the hallway when she spoke up.

“Michael! Wait! I am sorry; I don’t know what is wrong with her. What happened between you two?”

“You should ask her because I don’t have any clue.”

She bit her lip and swiped at the lock of her that had escaped her pony. His hand twitched. He wanted to kiss off the frown and confusion from her eyes but he knew he wouldn’t want it to stop there. He had already come close to taking her on the bed with the door open and he didn’t want to give all the workers and Chloe a matinee show, he thought wryly.