Chapter 48. The Divine Move

I was laying on my back, looking up at the white ceiling, trying to figure out just what I can do to get out of this box. Stiles wasn’t trapped in a box when the Nogitsune had a hold on him, or maybe he was and he broke out. 

Why can’t I do anything? I mean, this is my mind that I’m in, I should have some sort of control here, right? I should be able to get out of here and find a way to control the situation, or at least get a grip on all of it. 

I sat up, pushing myself up onto my elbows and glancing around. The box wasn’t very big, but the glass never seemed to break. I’ve hit it, kicked it, slammed my damn body into it— and still nothing happens.

How am I supposed to get out of here? 

My legs wobbled as I tried to stand up, my body was weak. I don’t know how that’s even possible, because the Nogitsune doesn’t seem to be having any issues running around Beacon Hills and causing trouble. 

When he went to the hospital earlier, looking for my mom, I started hitting at the glass again, but nothing happened. Thankfully he left before he could find her, but he didn’t leave without harming and possibly killing people in the process. 

I hated myself for letting this happen. 

My feet carried me to the wall and I pressed my forehead to the glass, I could see what the Nogitsune was seeing. Right now, he has me sitting on the steps in front of the school. We’re waiting for someone, but I have no idea who.

I couldn’t worry about that right now, I need to find a way out of here.

There’s a part of me that feels like this is just another riddle— another stupid riddle that the Nogitsune has me believing. I’m probably not even really in this glass box, I just believe that I am.

“Have you figured out the answer to our riddle yet?” 

I jumped and nearly smacked my face against the glass when I heard Stiles’ voice. I spun around and found him, well the version of him that the Nogitsune was, standing a few feet away from me. 

“What are you doing in here?” I demanded. 

He smirked, “I’m going to take that as a no.”

“I’m sorry, I haven’t really had time to try and figure out a damn riddle. I’ve been a little preoccupied!” I snapped. 

The walls of the box vibrated and I froze— the Nogitsune frowned momentarily, but quickly replaced it with that damn smirk again. He doesn’t want me to figure out the riddle any more… he wants to keep taunting me with the fact that I don’t know it. 

I took a step forward, “What would happen if I figured it out?” 

“There’s nothing else that can happen, Kasey. It’s over. I already won.” he stated evenly. He didn’t really believe that statement, there was a sliver of doubt— I saw it. 

My eyes widened in amusement, “Have you? Because I hate to be the one to tell you that we aren’t a Chinese board game.” 

“You know about the game of Go?” he questioned with a laugh. 

I shook my head from side to side, “No, but I know that’s what you’re doing— you’ve been a step ahead of us this whole time because you were using a strategy from that game, right?”

He grinned, “I don’t think I’ll get over how fast you put things together.”

“I learned from the best,” I retorted, having Stiles in mind, the real Stiles. My Stiles. “If you think this is a game, we can play it just as well, if not better, than you.”