54. Finale

Early in the morning, when the sun was barely seen and birds were hardly awake, Dresden woke up with a sleepy sigh. He moved his hand, expecting to feel the soft skin of his mate but he couldn't find her. His eyes flew opened in a panic, looking to his left. He could faintly smell lavender and spring rain but Julie was nowhere near him. The bathroom door was empty and opened and the bedroom door was still closed. But Julie wasn't there.

His mind went into default, thinking of all of the places she could be. Kitchen? Miranda's? Ollie's? Did they miss an Alpha? Was it Ian? Is Julie in danger again?

"Dresden!" He jumped, finding her closing the door as she made her way in. He fell back against his pillow dramatically, letting out a sigh of relief as he ran his hand over his face. He cursed his mate for doing this to him.

"What is it?" He asked. She climbed onto the bed, sitting next to him. Her touch sent waves of heat through his body. His newly marked mate was still torturing him during mating season. She looked at him with a goofy smile, pulling on his arm.

"Get dressed and let's go. I have to show you something." He stared after her and then glanced to the window. What time was it? "Hurry!"

He slowly got up and changed into sweats, yawning tiredly. His body still felt the exhaustion from the fight and if it wasn't for the fantastic presence of Julie, he would have tossed and turned in his sleep. But instead, he slept deeply, knowing that his mate was his until the end of time.

"You're tired?" He looked at her, nodding his head. She reached up and kissed his cheek, smiling softly at him. She led him through the house as quietly as possible, gripping his hand with excitement. She pulled him out through the back door and into the woods, walking further and further along. The cold air brushed against his skin, barely bugging him but he worried for her. The sky was dark and the temperatures had dropped tremendously. The ground was already freezing with ice and dense fog. Without her wolf, she must be stinging with cold.

"What's this?" he asked when she stopped in the middle of the woods. He looked around him, finding nothing out of the ordinary and then stared at her. She could barely contain her excitement.

"You know how I went to Miranda?" He growled, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Yes," He answered, raising his eyebrow at her.

"There's a really good reason I dragged you out here." She stalled. He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Well, I hope so otherwise I'd still be sleeping." He growled, stifling a yawn. She giggled, jumping in place.

"Okay, you have to be patient. Remember that because I won't be able to do this very often for a long time." He stared at her with confusion, worried about what she was going to do. She had a knack for getting into dangerous situations and he wasn't about to let her get into another so soon after Darren. She took a sigh and then, without warning, phased.

Dresden stood frozen and in shock, his body and mind wide awake as Julie's white she-wolf form stood on all fours, facing him. Her fur sparkled through the dimming dark, standing out from the green and brown scenery surrounding her. Her brown eyes looked up at him, nervously waiting for a reaction. He just stood there, processing it.

Are you okay?

His eyes widened in surprise and he closed his eyes. He smirked and then phase instantly. His black wolf walked up to her, being taller than here by three inches. He rubbed his muzzle against hers.

Happy. He answered, licking her. Her wolf gave him a smile and she rubbed up against him, her soft fur sending waves of pleasure across him. As if that was her plan, she immediately turned on him.