The Badboy, The Sat Nav and Me

Start from the beginning

                With a shudder, I turned my attention back to the phone call. Thinking of my mum in bed with my boyfriend certainly wasn’t the pleasantest of thoughts.

                “And his parents seem to think that this is okay?” I groaned. Hunter only had one parent and his mum didn’t seem to take much interest in his life. It wasn’t just Hunter that was going anyway. Kenzi, Lee, Alfie, Seb and Dylan were going to be coming with us. Dylan wanted to invite Maya but we came to a mutual vote that we’d be leaving her in Sheffield. She’d have us revising poems and going over Emily Dickinson rather than going out and having fun in the local clubs. None of us were prepared for that.

                “Yes, his parents think it’s okay! Dad does, too. Hunter will take care of me,” I assured. She didn’t answer me for a while; she just left me listening to her heavy breathing. It wasn’t only freaky, it was annoying as well. I needed to get packing, I didn’t exactly have time to sit and listen to her wheezing.

                “Look, let me think this over,” she started but I cut her off, immediately regretting it.

                “I don’t have time to let you think this over, Mum. I got hold of this guy in Italy, he’s called Dante and owns a string of villas over there. He agreed that Hunter and I could live in one of his villas for three weeks as long as we worked a few shifts as lifeguards in his pools.”

                It was a good deal, really. We’d all agreed to it, apart from Dylan. It’s not that he really wanted to pay for it; he’d just make a pretty crappy lifeguard, considering that he couldn’t swim.

                “Am I able to phone this Dante man?” she asked. I knew this was coming.

                Glancing over my shoulder, I noticed that Hunter was gesturing for me to give him the phone. That was probably a good idea, leave him to charm her into it rather than me back chat her out of it.

                “Hey, Miss D,” he replied easily, winking at me. I rolled my eyes, turning and resting on my knees so that I could put my ear to the phone and listen.

                “Yep, I’ll stay with her. Kenzi is going and yes, I will take excellent care of her,” he cooed. He grinned at me when I just raised an eyebrow. I mouthed ‘kiss ass’ before grabbing the phone back. My mum was using her sexy voice again, talk about embarrassing.

                “I have something else to tell you,” I added when I put the phone back against my ear. My mum knew that I lived with Hunter full time now but she didn’t know that he was actually straight so it was now or never.

                “That doesn’t sound promising,” she muttered but shut her mouth and waited for me to speak all the same.

                “Hunter isn’t gay,” I said at last, listening to the deafening silence on the other end of the line.

                “Why didn’t you tell me this earlier?” she asked curtly.

                “Well, because,” I paused. I hadn’t expected that question to pop up. I’d expected something more along the lines of ‘so, when is he free for dinner?’

                “Um, he wanted to experiment,” I concluded.

                “Have you any idea where that thing has been? Please tell me that you got him checked out.” I choked on my saliva and Hunter stiffened behind me, clearly listening in on the conversation.