Chapter Twenty

Journey |

When I got the call, the girls and I were in the mall. We were looking for something cute to wear to the beach, but were turning up with no luck. My phone rang, and when I answered it, I heard a crying guy. It was Bash. He told me that Cameron had been shot, and she wasn't doing well. I nearly fainted when I heard the news.

The girls ran to my side to keep me to my feet. "Journey, what happened," Gaia had asked as I began sobbing in the middle of the store. People were giving us concerned looks, but I could care less. I was hyperventilating which caused one of the clerks to ask if they needed to call 911.

I shook my head to tell her that I was fine. "It's Cam," I told the girls. "She got shot. She-she's not doing well." The girls rushed me out of the mall. Gaia drove to the hospital since I was too much of a wreck. Ivy sat with me in the backseat, trying to keep calm. I knew this was a bad idea.

Wolf was armed, dangerous, and crazy. The boys and Cameron went after him as if he wouldn't put up a fight, but he obviously did. I just hoped Wolf wasn't running around free. He deserved to be locked away from society like a rabid animal. I really fucking hate him. Because of him, Cameron was wounded once again.

This time it was more serious. It wasn't just some simple stab wound. Cameron had took a bullet to the body. From the way Bash told me the news, it didn't seem good either. He said something about how it was a really bad wound. I couldn't understand most of what he was saying because he was so emotional.

The car ride back to town, we were completely quiet. We were about an hour away from the hospital. It seemed like it took forever for us to get there. It was like every second was a minute, and every minute was an hour. I was growing impatient, I just wanted to see Cameron. I just wanted to know if she was okay.

When we arrived to the hospital, we saw the boys, and Cameron's parents all sitting in the waiting room. Mrs. Ramsey was leant against her husband, holding a tissue up to her eyes. The boys sat with grave expressions. It was like they were zombies. "Is she okay," was the first thing I asked all of them.

Bash stood up, and walked over to me. "Journey..." I looked up at the taller boy to see his eyes red, and worn. He wasn't his usual cheerful self. It actually hurt even more to see him like this.

"Please tell me she's okay," I said as I looked at him hopefully. Bash kept the same sadden expression on his face, and his eyes flickered down for a second.

"She got shot in the lung. One of her lungs collapsed, and she lost a lot of blood, Journey. They're doing their best back in surgery." Bash said that Cameron would be fine, but the look in his eyes told me he didn't believe it. "Don't worry. As soon as Wolf fired, I fired back. Let's just say he's taking a trip down to the morgue tonight."

The news of Wolf's death was a bit settling, but of course I was still worried about Cameron. One of her lungs collapsed that didn't sound good at all. I just wanted to see her. She told she loved me before she left, and I didn't get to say it back. That made me feel like shit.

Hours upon hours we sat in the waiting room just waiting for a doctor or someone to tell us Cameron's status. Finally, a white haired man came out in his white doctor's coat. "Who's here for Cameron Ramsey," he asked. We all stood up immediately.

The doctor walked over to us painfully slow. "Hello, I'm Doctor Greene. I'm sorry. We were in surgery a bit longer than expected." The man looked down at the chart in his hand. "She had a bullet straight to her right lung which caused it to collapse. Her left lung was a bit weak due to what we assumed was the cause of smoking. That's why she was having such a hard time breathing. We've lost her a couple times during surgery, but right now she's in critical condition. We did the best we could do. We removed the bullet. We've gone through intubation, meaning that we took a long breathing tube and placed it in her trachea via her mouth. She's also hooked up to a ventilator. Both of these machines are breathing for her. Right now, we have her sedated, but she should wake up within the next couple hours. She won't be able to talk because of the tube, but she'll definitely be able to use hand symbols and to write. I expect within a week, or just a couple of days, she should be able to breathe on her own. As soon as she's able to breathe properly, we'll go through extubation, which is the removal of the tube. We'll keep her for a night after that, and then she'll be able to check out. She's in ICU, that's the 3rd floor, room 302. Do you have any questions?"