A Blue Memory

• Dedicated to JT Joshua

I was there, standing in the middle of the halls of my old school Nova middle

School. I was shorter then usual and less intimidating.

“Hey Avary you ready to get that kid today?” two kids pat my back and walk with me. There names where Jayme and Troy. These two kids where feared by most kids and even teachers of the school. Most importantly I was afraid of them. Troy was the leader of it all though. He was the boy no one dared to look in the eye. They told me to hurt this one specific person named Kail Timmins. I never understood why until today.

“I don’t know if I can.” I stared at the floor trying to prepare myself for Troy’s response. He grips the back of my neck and pulls me by hair so that I could get close to his ear.

Do you think I'm giving you a option?" I look at him eye to eye and nod saying no. "I'm sorry I gave you some sort of idea that you do what you want. I guess next time I'll paint a clearer picture!" he springs my head forward causing my hair to pull back. Pain rushed to my head.

I kept yelling "Ouch! Ouch! Please stop!" until he let go of me.

He pulled me back and said, "you know I don't think your crush is worth a hair on your head Avary!" he emphasized my name at the end. Every time he treated me like this he emphasized my name as if it was a diss. I hated the name Avary.

"Why do you want to get Kail so bad?" Jayme stared at me as if I was dead because I asked the wrong question. I feel like I just cut the wrong wire of a boom and I'm not ready for the explosion.

"Because he's a phony! That's why!" His forehead tightened with anger and he screamed with authority "He's a good for nothing phony! I'll make him pay for what he did!" Jayme stood there like a soldier waiting for a command to move. Jayme knew that when Troy was mad no one could tame him.

"Let go of me!" I demanded.

"And if I don't" he laughed looking at me as if I where so small I couldn't possible reach up and touch him let alone hurt him.

His reaction irritated me and for the first time in the months he's been bulling me this is the one time where I spoke back. Actually this was the first time I've seen anyone even dare mess with Troy.

I grabbed his arm and said, "Don't let go. Fine, but I wonder how you would feel if everyone in the school mocked you instead of feared you."

"Avary are you trying to threaten me?" He laughed.

"Let me put it in a way you'll understand. If you keep pushing me around, calling me names, and making me hurt other people I'll make shore everyone knows the reason why you hate Keil so much." He let’s go of his grip on me.

"You’re bluffing” He stares at me intensely.

"Oh really? I wonder if your crazy too?" I laugh and he looks like he’s ready to hit me but Jayme holds him back.

"Let me go you idiot! "

"If I let you go you'll hurt her and then she'll let everyone know. Think straight!" Jayme said as if he needed a reminder.