4: mark of the enemy

It seemed as though it was a sin to step off of the helicarrier for two hours. They had ported for a few hours (for reasons unknown to me), so I took this as an opportunity to run to my place in the Bronx, then rush to a department store and pick up an outfit for the captive. Surely, Fury would have been fine with me fulfilling his (Steve's) orders, right?

"Agent Brookes!" Fury yelled from Banner's office.

I stopped in my path to my office and turned my head so I could look at him. "Yes, Director Fury?" I replied in an uninterested tone. I loved this job, I really did. But also if it was a person, I'd wring it's neck until its eyes bulged like a fucking toad.

"Would you be so kind as to join Captain Rogers and me for a moment?" He ducked back into the room without waiting for an answer.

I released a puff of air and marched into the room, where only Steve and Fury stood. "Isn't it a bit rude to be using Banner's office with Banner not here?"

"What's in the bag?" Steve asked, thumbs laced in his belt and his stance mighty.

I lightly lifted the backpack at my side. "Clothes."

Fury glared at me in frustration, challenging my attitude.

"What? We've been on this thing for a month straight and I wanted to wear something other than pencil skirts and blazers. Is that a problem?" I asked, a hand propped on my waist.

"Would you mind opening it?" Fury asked.

I glared between him and Rogers with pursed lips. With a sigh, I threw the bag onto the table and unzipped it. I sifted through a few pairs of my clothes, making my various lacy undergarments noticeable, and ended with the pile of clothes for the captive.

"What are these for?" Steve muttered, looking at the obviously boxy shirt.

"I tend to be fluid." I bit back. He didn't get it. "It's for your friend, Captain Rogers."

Steve dropped the shirt and took a step back. He rubbed under his nose and cleared his throat. He knew he was being too harsh. "Thank you."

"That's what I wanted to speak to you about." Fury gestured for me to put the contents of the bag away, which I happily did. I looked back at him expectantly. "Captain Rogers has brought it to my attention that you have decided not to inform us of the rehabilitation steps. Would you care to explain?"

"Yeah," I nodded, chuckling bitterly. "The man is hurt, okay? I'd rather not bring in more people to overwhelm him. He just needs time. Allow him to get comfortable with me before it's with you. I've done this before, Director. When will you trust me? This man needs more intensive care than anyone previous and I'm working my ass off to provide that to him." That was kind of a lie but it's what they wanted and needed to hear. Not fully a lie. He was insane in the brain, but I wasn't giving my all to fix that.

Steve pursed his lips. He really wanted to see the captive - his friend. I couldn't allow it, not yet.

"What's more important is when you're going to allow him to be unchained and take a shower," I added. "He still smells so bad." My nose crinkled at the thought.

"He will not be allowed out of the cell if he cannot handle human interaction, Agent Brookes." Fury stated.

I nodded. "Fine. Then he doesn't get a shower, now does he?" I slung the backpack over my shoulder. "We're done here?" I didn't wait for a response. Fury trusted me, but also he didn't. We'd both have to live with that.

With that, I was down the hall again. With a huff, I swiped my card and walked in, greeted by a grumbling captive. He looked up momentarily, mumbled a hello, and looked back down at his metal arm. He was sat on the floor with his legs sprawled out in front of him and his posture poor. He was twitching like a fly was buzzing around his ear but he couldn't swat it away. Normal behavior for someone who had just left sixty-odd years of torture and abuse.