Introduction

The Purge Election Year is in theaters July 1st! 

Earlier this year I watched a movie which told the story of what might happen if all crime was made legal for twelve hours.  The film was The Purge and I really enjoyed it.  It was an interesting premise and showed some of the extremes people would go to just because they could.

I was surprised and delighted to be contacted by the team who are working on the sequel, The Purge: Anarchy,  asking if I'd be interested in writing a story to coincide with the film's release.  To say I was interested was an understatement.  I was honoured – and, perhaps, a little worried.  Writing this story would be out of my comfort zone.  I usually wrote paranormal thrillers and you could be pretty sure the main character either wouldn't be alive at the end, or he was already dead.  I was given the go ahead to include a paranormal twist if I wished but... well, you'll have to read the story to find out if I did so.

Once I started writing, I realised I needn't have worried.  The premise of the Purge is a strong one and was something I could really get stuck into.  I chose – or the story chose as I wrote it – not to concentrate on the Purge itself.  I chose to write about one of the victims.  What would you do if your parents were shot in front of you?  In my story, we find out – and see how far someone can be pushed when crime suddenly becomes a game-show.

I feel privileged to have been asked to do this and I do hope I've done justice to the faith shown in me.  And I hope you, the reader enjoy both my story and the film itself.  I know I'll be there on release day.

Also, writing this has been a learning curve.  I've learned not everyone in my stories has to die.

Or do they...?

- Shaun Allan