Chapter 39

I shot up in panic, my eyes fluttered open in fear, sucking in huge amounts of oxygen to 'replenish the oxygen that I lack'. Well, it's more just like me panting with fear as the aftereffects of the dream which is more like a nightmare and... Yeah...

I wiped off the imaginary sweat trickling down my face with the back of my hand. That. Was. Just. So. Freaking. Scary.

I never thought I'd be able to dream such a terrible kind of nightmares. Comparing this with the 'nightmares' I thought I used to have – note the apostrophes – those are nothing. They're pretty much fairy tales already.

I scanned the room I was currently residing in. I don't recognise it at all, and it was definitely not my room. I do not recognise it, not even in the slightest bit. Now, to ask the million dollar question: Where am I?

I was laying on a metal bed – or rather, a metal bunk – my head resting on a hard pillow, and no blanket or comforter. Which totally explains the neck and back ache I was having. I looked down at my attire. I was still wearing the same clothes I was wearing the last time I actually remember being awake. Which was... How many days ago?

Where am I?

Think Willow, think.

There has to be some clue somewhere that will tell me or give me a clue on where I am right now. There was a small barred window almost directly above my bunk. The room is remarkably small, and it's in a very dull dark grey colour. There was only one lone fluorescent lamp flickering on and off in the middle of the room.

Where am I?

The door was barred with metal railings, impossible to get through, and they look rusted. But is it really metal? I can't think straight right now. I can't really see what's outside that metal door, but there seems to be some silhouettes outside it, indicating that there are some people there

Argh! I can't figure out where in the world I am now. My mind's all messed up and blurry from the nightmare I just had while I was sleeping just now. Come on, Willow, think. I'm sure you can do it. It's not that hard.

But for some apparent reason, I can't think properly at the moment. My brain's not functioning properly.

Where am I?

I looked around and absorb more of my surroundings. The bulb overhead is almost dead, its light flickering on and off as if it is some sort of game that it's playing. Shadows danced around the dull room, playing around with my clear vision.

I couldn't see properly due to the many shadows that were casted around the room.

Come on Willow, think. It can't be that hard, can it?

Where am I?

The room is remarkably small, and there are a lot of white scratches on the grey stone walls. Some were random words, others were drawings and the rest were simply to cross out the number of days spent in... This room? Maybe. Probably.

This place sounds, and looks, pretty familiar. Déjà vu? Probably. But I should really know where I am... If only my brain would love me so much and start working with me. I should know where I am... It's stuck and jammed somewhere at the back of my head, and my brain refuses to dig it out.

I should really know where I am.

So... Time to ask the million dollar question. Where in the whole wide world am I?

I should know this

I should really know this...

I have never been to a place like this before, but I've seen it around more than a couple of times, especially on TV shows that I sometimes watch. So...

I should really, really, really know where in the world I am.

Wait a second. I think my brain is functioning now. And I think I finally know where I am. Something just clicked in my mind a moment ago. Realisation hit me on the head like a brick.

I definitely know where I am.

I've definitely seen this place a countless times. And definitely not in real life either. After all, I've got no reason to see this place in real life, why would I? I've seen it on TV, and read about it in books as well.

I know where I am in right now.

Where am I?

I am in a prison cell.