Six: A Thing

Six

Jaz's POV

"Does that mean you guys are, you know..." Ally says, grinning. "A thing?"

We're back in Serena, Liv and I's apartment, dressed in our pajamas, sitting cross-legged on the floor of our lounge. Unfortunatley we had to leave One Direction for the night and retreat back to our place so that we could sleep. We did have work tomorrow, sadly, and I forgot that my shift started at 5AM tomorrow. It was nearly midnight, so I should've been going to sleep soon, but I was too excited.

"I guess..." Alex says, grinning. She's so happy, and I feel great for her.

"Well," Serena smiles. "Louis and I certainly kicked it off.

"And me and Liam!" Liv exclaims.

"I saw you and Zayn with some chemistry there too, Ally," I say to her, grinning.

"And you and Harry," Livvy points out.

I laugh, "Not really."

"Really!"

I avert my gaze to the floor and start twiddling my thumbs awkwardly. I'd been avoiding having a boyfriend for a while now, but maybe I could afford one. No, a voice in the back of my head tells me. Not Harry Styles. It won't work. For now, I shake the voice away and focus my attention back to my friend's, who are still talking, smiling crazily.

"I'm gonna go to bed," I say suddenly, climbing to my feet. "Work tomorrow," I roll my eyes.

"Oh yeah..." Ally says, groaning. "Alex, we better head back to our apartment. We've got the 8AM shift."

"Great," Alex says as she stands, yanking Ally's arm up too. 

"See you, guys," I say, nodding to them.

"Night!" Ally yells over her shoulder as they head out the door.

Serena and Liv eventually climb to their feet, sighing. "I really don't want to think about work at the moment," Serena groans, running a hand through her head. Livvy nods her head in agreement before she shouts a good night over her shoulder, heading down the hall to her room.

"See you tomorrow afternoon," Serena says, because I probably won't see her in the mornings, seeing as her lecture doesn't start till midday. She reaches her hand out to pat me, but ends up just letting her hand slack on my face. 

I frown and shove her away playfully, "Good night, Serena," I say, laughing, as we head in our different directions down the hall to our bedrooms. I shut the door behind me and slip into bed, my mind racing. Images of Harry's keep popping up in my thoughts as my eyes slowly shut and I give into the darkness, falling asleep.

***

I swung the door open, juggling my travel mug of tea in one hand and my paperwork in the other. Outside, it was a really windy day, and my hair was a mess from the walk here. When I stepped inside the warm lobby to my work building, I had to hold back from letting out a sigh of relief. I was dressed in my usual work outfit- a white blouse, a black blazer, matching black trousers, and a pair of plain, black heels. Today, I also had a red beanie on my head to protect me from the wind, though I shed it as soon as I stepped inside.

"Hey, Jasmine," says Kerry, a lady about ten years older than me who works behind our desk at the reception. I smile and nod at her politley, making my way over to the elevators. 

I manage to somehow press the right floor level button and the doors start to close, only to be opened again by a man. He gives me a small smile and leans over, pressing his floor number. Standing there awkwardly, I double check that my work bag with my camera is still hanging off my shoulder, and feel relieved when my eyes land on it.