A complete list of works by Doug Nelson

Jack Brass goes to Vegas

One day during a particularly cold winter a group of coworkers and me, trying to keep our minds occupied with something besides the ice-sickles forming on our nose hair, contemplated a motorcycle trip from Chicago, to Vegas and back, in the spring. The planning stage consumed four months but by the middle of May, we and several others were on our way. The ensuing story is a blow by blow account of that trip down old highway 66; from the crazy escapades along the way there, to the bone-chilling sleet of Vail Pass Colorado, on our way back.  It was supposed to be two weeks of uncensored fun; it turned into something very different.

Jack Brass in Country

Jack was headstrong maybe even a rebel, his life was closing in on him. His options were limited. The recruiter convinced him the US Air force could change his life. What did he have to lose? ROTC was a cake walk; Basic training sounded like more of the same. Without knowing it, he had jumped from the frying pan into the fire, and basic training was a bitch. Tech school was tough and Vietnam was a wakeup call. It was no longer Jack against the world; this was a team effort against an enemy with no concern for the rules of engagement. The enemy could be anywhere, any age and either man or woman, with no respect for human life. They could even be beautiful, as Jack would come to realize.

There would be many firsts that year, First time away from home, First hangover, and first love, to name a few. He had left the one place in his life where he felt safe, and Uncle Sam was about to make a man out of him, whether he wanted it or not. Up until now, having fun was at the top of his things to-do list, but it was all about to change.  

Jack Brass & the island of dreams

Jack is a bit of a dreamer; it is somewhat of a prerequisite if you are to successfully run a small charted company. After his obligation to Uncle Sam was fulfilled, he turns his love of flying into his passion. A series of unforeseen circumstances will present him with a once in a lifetime opportunity, where he meets the woman of his dreams on the beautiful island of Hawaii.

This is an easy to read, love story, with a happy ever after finish.  

Jack Brass & the Dark Side of the Moon & Back

A three book set: The Dark side of the Moon Trilogy is a three book set, based on the life of a very average young man. Average in all but one way, he can remember everything, or if you prefer, the inability to forget anything. He is chosen by a pair of brilliant physicists to participate in an experiment. They have developed what they believe is a means by which travel between universes is possible. The one problem is that after the dimensional shift has occurred the subject has no recollection of the shift. It is their hope Jack, and his unique memory will solve their dilemma.

The first real test is a resounding success, the next jump results in a mishap which leaves Jack stranded in an alternate universe. After the problems are dealt with, the third jump takes Jack to a futuristic universe where things are strange but exhilarating. This universe has discovered the ability to travel in time. While in this universe, Jack travels far into the future, to an outpost on the moon, here the tranquil beauty is only a deception, hiding a sinister plot.  

After returning from the Moon in book 2, Jack makes contact with the infamous Men in Black, and jumps to a dimension stuck in the late 1800s. There he meets an eccentric old clockmaker bent on taking on the underworld in an effort to exact revenge for the death of his parents, and gets caught up in a kidnapping. He rides in steam powered vehicles, Fly’s one of the first, flying machines, and floats’ on a Spanish Gillian in the clouds all while trying to rescue a friend in distress. After returning home, a fantastic mechanical man named Willim IV is constructed and given a positronic brain with AI.

In the third book, while Jack is off adventuring, V.I.C.K.E.  is constructed, and a cybernetic crime fighter is created.

Jack Brass & the curse of the Crystal Rose

While trying to flee the Mob, after an attempted murder on her life, Lynn and Jack travel Germany while she tries to recuperate. Lynn is a gifted photographer who has unwittingly taken pictures of a Mob Hit. She and Jack travel Germany, the land of Fairy Tales, in an effort to elude the Mob. Jack is unaware that Fate is about to stack the deck against him, and finds out first hand, Love Is Blind.

Emma’s Song

Emma was born into poverty of the worst kind, an abusive father, never enough to eat, and no hope of a better tomorrow. She lived in a land of make-believe, where disappointment and heartache were not allowed. Everything was about to change for Emma, and this time, making believe was not allowed. Her dreams were dashed at every turn, and she felt betrayed by everyone, she thought even God, was even looking the other way. She would come to the realization that her only escape lied in her ability to overcome life’s challenges and peruse her dreams on her own. She had been dealt a losing hand and somehow her two deuces would have to take a king high straight. It wasn’t all bluff; she had plenty to offer, but the odds were stacked against her. The boy she loved was engaged to another girl, and it would be an up-hill battle, but a battle she knew she could win.

The Crazy Things We Did

Ever wonder what life would be like without your iPod or computer? Not to mention, Nintendo, or Xbox. Well here is a look back in time, where none of those things existed, and yet we had a ball. It is amazing just how much fun you can have with a well honed imagination.