Chapter 24 - How to Make Your D.I.Y. Band

Start from the beginning

Jobs’ long skinny face turned a deep hue of scarlet. As he barged into the control room and virtually yanked the mic off the console. He looked like he was having a heart attack. “Keep going! Damn it! What’s your problem now? I lose millions of dollars every single second you waste in here, Leon.”

I took my time to think for a while, making him even more ballistic. “I have one more condition.”

Jobs huffed, loosening his tie. “What now? You want a pony?”

I stared at the floor for a while, feeling an involuntary smile coming. I just found out the solution for my problem. “Ha, very funny,” I humored him. “I want my own band.”

“What?!”

“My own band. I want my own band.” I smirked.

“Leon, are you blind?” he said in a fake friendly tone.  He pointed a shaking finger to the dudes in the next booth. “There’s your band. I personally handpicked them. The best of the best.”

“Yeah… I see them,” I chuckled. “But I already have people in mind. And I want them here first thing tomorrow.”

With his bony face crumpling, he snatched a cell phone from his assistant and poked the dials with a grudge. It was almost fun to watch. Did I ever mention that I so liked this guy? Not. The mousy middle-aged lady—the assistant—frantically scribbled on her notepad, mechanically recording whatever her boss was fuming about over the phone. When the CEO was done badmouthing probably one or more of his subordinates, he slammed a hand on the equalizers.

“You better record something decent,” he threatened, grinding the words through his grayish, nicotine-stained teeth. “Tomorrow.”

I glanced at my wrist watch. Fifteen past three. If they don’t arrive in forty-five minutes I’d be toast. Jobs would surely love to rub it in. I paced the glassy gray and white-tiled floor in the lobby of the recording studio’s building. Why weren’t they coming? Nate said he’d talk to them. It was his fault they got mad at me anyway. Okay. It was my fault too. Partially.

Maybe Jobs’ assistant screwed up with the flight schedules. Or maybe, the guys didn’t listen to Nathan. Couldn’t blame them. My brother can be a total ass at times—meaning all the time.

After nearly half an hour of waiting, I saw the company’s service van stop by the lobby entrance. The door slid open spewing Chuck and Reed. They nudged each other as they hauled themselves out of the vehicle. Ricky came next, looking around uneasily, slinging a laptop bag over his shoulder.

Some things never change.

“Hey,” I said as they came in, which sounded pretty lame. Awkward. But that was all I could think of. “How’s the flight?” Yeah. Like I really cared about that.

The blondes looked at each other meaningfully. That’s some telepathic thing they had going on. Ricky’s eyes darted left and right. He was breathing so fast, looking like he was going to faint anytime now. Jitters, I guessed.

“Look, guys,” I sighed deeply, sorting out the words in my head. “I know we—“

“Do we really have time for that?” Reed muttered giving me a look.

Chuck glanced at his wrist and pretended to look at the time even though he didn’t have a watch. “I thought we have to be here at four?” He grinned.

“Yeah,” Reed agreed, snorting as he forced back a smile. “Nate said it was a matter of life and death. We thought it’d be fun.”

Ricky squirmed. “Fun? Gran’s totally going to kill me. This can be considered kidnapping, you know?” he grumbled, smiling wryly with the guys.