In Waves

"She's definitely in a lot of pain." Cody stared down at the small child writhing on the ground.

I looked up at him from my crouched position next to the girl. "The whole process is painful." I looked back at the girl. Huge dark splotches were quickly covering her body. Some patches had eaten away at the skin, showing huge chunks of flesh. I shook my head at her. "Just kill her now." I turned away as Cody shot the girl with the gun he had been carrying.

Too afraid to look back, I started walking. I looked around at all of the destruction that had taken place in the last five or six days. Buildings were burnt and crumbling, smashed cars were scattered through the streets, bodies littered the ground, almost all of them mangled and unrecognizable. We were probably stupid to walk the streets so openly at a time like this, but we had plenty of weapons in our backpacks, and nobody else was stupid enough to actually roam around freely. We didn't have to worry about having to fight off sane people.

I looked at Cody's back as he led me in the direction we were supposed to go in. His extremely long, red hair was pulled back in a ponytail, and his pale skin contrasted sharply with his black shirt. I never really knew him too well, but when all of this destruction began, we had both been in the same music store. I don't know why, but for some reason we kind of joined together. I guess in moments like that, you find more comfort in being with someone you kind of know than being alone on your own or with strangers.

Cody stopped and looked around. I watched his face looking for signs of any emotion that would tell me what he was thinking about, but his face was completely emotionless. His eyes flicked over to me. He gave me a tight-lipped smile before turning his back to me and walking on.

He turned and looked at me again. "There's about five or six a little ways in front of us. They just stumbled out of a shop or something. The place is a mess. I bet there are more inside." He was clearly waiting for my confirmation, so I nodded my head and pulled out the Glock 17 I kept in the side of my backpack.

Sure it isn't the quietest gun around, and handguns aren't exactly the best weapons to use when dealing with these kinds of things, but it's super easy to use and the ammo is incredibly common. Scavenging through abandoned homes, Cody and I had already found several boxes of 9mm Parabellum. I was set for a while.

I followed Cody as we headed towards the small group. They were huddled together, most likely chewing on each other or something. Cody and I didn't even bother sneaking up on them. It wasn't like they were a group that was capable of doing much harm. They may be just as fast as any survivor, but with there being so few of them, and them not paying attention as we approached them, they wouldn't be too hard to take care of. As soon as we got close enough, we both shot at them, easily taking them down. The sound alerted a few more of them in the building the others had stumbled out of. Unfortunately, they didn't even get the chance to try to escape or attack. Cody and I had already shot all of them.

We looked around at the small amount of mangled bodies lying on the floor. Some of them were clearly only just beginning to change. The others had been this way for a while. One of the bodies that was a little closer to me was a little boy. He was probably only about five or six. It's always horrible when you see children this young that have been bitten. I was glad he was already dead, and that neither one of us would have to shoot him. I didn't mind shooting the ones that were already fully changed, because they had no mind of their own. It was the ones that were just beginning that bothered me, because they were fully aware of what was going on.

"Cody, can we stop for tonight? It's starting to get light. I don't want anyone to see us."

"Who would even be out?" Cody grabbed a handful of bullets from the front pouch of his backpack and stuck them in his pocket.