Iron & Wine-Chapter Nine: All Hell

Chapter Nine-All Hell

"So, it's Thursday afternoon, and your first major projects are due tomorrow. I know most of you will slap something together tonight and try to pass it as a piece of art. Let it be known, I can tell between a piece of art and a piece of crap. That's why I am the teacher and you are the students," Mr. Vanner warned. "So, being the nice guy that I am, you have the rest of this afternoon to work on your projects...or not work on your projects. Please, use this time wisely." He smiled then, and left the studio.

I felt pretty good about my painting. The project was to create a dramatic piece using only black and whites. I painted a landscape of a dream I once had. I was walking through a big forest full of gigantic flowers that towered way over my head and the trees were only knee high. Everything was opposite. The grass was blue and the sky was a pretty shade of green. I couldn't portray that in my picture, but the size of the flowers and trees were for sure dramatic enough.

I was almost done but decided to stay and finish it up for another hour or so and then head home for an early start to my weekend. I was meeting Julie and a bunch of people from school at a local pub for a few games of pool and some drinks.

 I noticed that the black paint was pretty low on my pallet, so I headed to the side of the studio where we kept the supplies. As I was turning back towards my painting, I dropped the bottle of paint. I bent down to pick it up, and that's when all hell broke loose.

I guess Max was bringing her finished sculpture over to the kiln, which was right behind me, and she didn't see me bent over. When I straightened up, I knocked the sculpture right out of her hands! The whole room fell silent with one continuous gasp, and all eyes were on us just waiting to see Max's reaction. I looked down at the piece to analyze the damage. It was toast.

I dared look into Max's furious eyes; she was going to kill me, literally. She never said anything, just screamed and tackled me to the ground while slapping and punching my face and pulling my hair. Once she began to repeatedly smash my head against the floor, I reacted. What could I do but fight back? So I did.

I started punching her and trying to kick her off of me. After I began to tire, Max finally gave in and got up, but it wasn't over. As soon as I got up, she pushed me into the French doors next to where I sat. I fell through the glass and it shattered all around me as I tumbled helplessly to the ground. It was so bizarre, the whole thing felt like it happened in slow motion, probably because I couldn’t believe it was happening. I could see the glass shattering into a thousand shards but, for some reason, couldn’t hear it. I was in full panic mode. I moaned in agony as I felt every little shard in my skin like tiny bugs burrowing their way in.

Max came running out after me like a crazy wrestler, ready to throw some more punches. She may look like a dainty and prissy chick on the outside, but she had a lot of force behind her fists. I quickly assembled myself the best I could and scrambled to stand up, specks of blood beginning to bleed through my shirt.

"Max! Stop it! Look at the damage we've already done! Someone is going to seriously get hurt here," I pleaded with my crazed classmate, as I backed away. There wasn't much room for me to go. We were on the balcony.

"Yes! You are the one who is going to be hurting. I’ve had enough of you Avery. You are a pain in my ass; I hate the sight of your damn face!" Everyone gasped at that. She was seriously working out some frustrations here.

"This school is not big enough for the two of us." As she spoke that last cliché of a line, she charged at me.

My spine felt like it broke in half as she slammed me into the stone railing. I could hear bits of the old stone falling to the ground below us as I howled in pain. I was pushing her face away from me, trying to get her to give in and back off. If she didn't, I was going to fall off of the balcony and drop about five stories down to my death.

Just then, someone grabbed Max from behind and got her free from me. I gasped and choked for air now that I wasn't being strangled, looked over to see who had saved me and saw Will. Thank goodness, the relief was overwhelming. Max was kicking and screaming for him to let her go.

"Are you okay?" he asked me. He had Max's arms bounded behind her back, but even Will could barely contain her, she was like a wild animal.

"Yeah, I'm good. A few scratches, no big deal," I lied. "Thank you." I glared at Max, who was staring right back, madness in her eyes.

"Hey, no problem, someone had to do it, right?" he spoke a little louder and looked around the studio as he said that. He was right; I can't believe that no one in my class bothered to get her off of me. Note to self: everybody in my class suck.

I looked around at the chaos we had caused. The beautiful glass doors that I admired and sat next to everyday were shattered into a million tiny pieces, most of those pieces were sticking in my arms and back. I brushed myself off the best I could and grabbed my bag.

"Where are you going?" Will asked, concerned.

"Um, home, I need to get cleaned up and in some blood free clothes." Really I was going home to get all the glass out. I could feel each little piece pulling and tearing at my skin with every move I made.

"Are you crazy? I'm taking you to the hospital," he demanded. "Just as soon as I get this one to the Dean's office," he motioned to Max. Strangely, she had given in and was just standing next to him with her head down as if she were ashamed.

"No, really, I’m fine. I swear. No doctors please," I begged. Really I wasn't fine but God, I couldn't stand being in hospitals. The smell of everything made me sicker than being in a car. Just the thought of it made me dizzy.

"Fine, but I’m bringing you home," Will insisted and he started to lead Max out the door. "Wait here, I’ll be back in five minutes."

I looked around at my disturbed classmates and the mess that had been made. I couldn't stand to wait here, not even for five minutes.

"No, meet me outside. I'll be waiting by my bike." He looked like he was going to disagree. "I think I need some air," I quickly added and he nodded.

I waited outside for about ten minutes when Will suddenly appeared.

"Okay, there is no way I can let you drive home yourself," he said. "I'll drive the bike and you just hold on tight, k?"

"Okay," I agreed and climbed on behind him. I didn't want to argue because I think he was right. I was starting to get real nauseous thinking about all of the tiny pieces of glass in my skin.

We were at the apartment in only a few short minutes, and Will helped me upstairs. Once inside, I made my way to the bathroom to get the tweezers and attempt to pluck out the glass. I was in there for a good twenty minutes before I realized that there was just too much, I needed help. When I came out, Will had started to make some coffee. It smelled wonderful. He handed me a cup, I took it and laid it on the table.

"Um, this is going to sound weird and you totally don't have to do it," I started. "I got most of the glass bits out but I can't reach a few in the back..."

"Give it here," he motioned to the tweezers. "You should have gotten me to do it in the first place anyways." He plucked out the rest of the pieces carefully, yet quickly, and I heard each one plink down on the granite top as he did. When he was done he sighed in relief. "There, all done. Take two Aspirin and call me in the morning."

I laughed and slapped him in the arm, but I bet it hurt me more than it did him. "Thank you so much. You have no idea what you have done for me today."

"Hey, no problem, what are friends for right? If they can't save you from maniac blondes and perform minor surgery at random times then what’s the point of having them around, right?" he joked. "I'm going to take off now and head back to get my car. Are you gonna be okay"

"Yeah, I’ll be fine after a long hot shower," I replied. "See you at the pub tonight? You're going right?"

"You bet. I’m meeting Julie there in an hour or so. See you later." With a careful hug and a wave he left and shut the door behind him. I scooped the shards of glass into my hand and threw them in the garbage. Maybe I should have stayed at school to talk to the Dean as well, in case I had to sign anything for the doors or give a statement or something. Oh well, I’ll deal with it on Monday. Right now I just want to forget about it.