Chapter Seven- Part two

I'm busy.

I'm taking a summer course & it's killing me.  :D Here's part two of Chapter Seven. 

******

Chapter 7 continued-   

“I just called Thomas and he said he would be happy to chaperone your date!” My mother said. Her joyful voice burned through my ears. 

James had accepted my mother’s rule but he wasn’t looking forward to seeing Thomas again. I didn’t think I needed a chaperone at sixteen but my mother didn’t trust me.  My mother always goes to extreme lengths to protect me.  She would keep me locked up in this house, forever if she could.  My mother liked me to stay close to her side, so she could keep a watchful eye on me.

“Great! ” James said.  His voice was laced with thick sarcasm.

“Yeah, Thomas should be home by nine. So, you can spend the rest of the day with Star or you can come back later.” My mother said.

“I would rather stay here.  Could Star and I take a walk around the neighborhood?” James asked.

My mother pressed her lips together as she consider the idea, “Okay, but don’t take too long.  Breakfast will be ready in an hour.”

“Do you mind go for a walk, Star?” James asked.

I shrugged.  James tugged on my hand and pulled me to my feet.  We walked up the hill and James didn’t speak until my mother was out of eye distance.

“You’re mother intimidates me. She’s been staring me down all morning long.” James said.

  We ventured through stone paved roads. I lived in a historical neighborhood that was built nearly three hundred years ago. Most of the houses were at least a hundred years ago. The house had been re-modeled several times. 

I stopped to stare at an old stone cottage. James followed my own eyes with curiosity.  “Do you like cottages?” He asked.

I nodded my head. There was something very charming about historic homes.  James stepped forward to admire the house, “My dad use to build houses like that. He was a builder and he created his own business from the ground up.”

He was a builder?

When I raised my eyebrows skeptically, James said,  “He left my mom five years ago.”

Wait—what?

“His company took off. He went from making less then thirty grand a year to making a six-figure salary.  But then he decided that he wanted a different family. He woke up one august morning and packed his bags.  He left my mother a small cheek. He was too much of a coward. Even though we needed the money, my mother burned the cheek. She didn’t want his money. “ James said.

James swallowed hard, “Things became very difficult. My mother was struggling to provide for my sister and me. And I was getting into a lot of fights.  I was just so angry at the world. I just wanted to know why I wasn’t good enough.  Fuck when I talk about it, I get so angry.”