O n e

One

"I actually cannot believe you did that."

The sides of Nathan's bright hazel eyes crinkled as he laughed, "You don't even care," he pointed out, "and weren't you the one complaining about how stupid it was?"

I grit my teeth before forcing out a, "Yes. But could you not at least tell me what you wrote? Y'know, just in case I happen to get called out of class for writing complete bullshit."

"Actually, I agree with Nate. Did they really think anyone would take that questionnaire seriously?" I rolled eyes at Samantha's unwanted input. Since when did she ever agree with anything Nathan said anyway?

"Exactly," he beamed, mischief twinkling in his brown eyes.

I glared at him too. Nathaniel Williams could possibly run for the most annoying being on the planet and just about win. He looked like any normal, seventeen year old guy, but the one thing that made him stand out was probably the extremely deep dimples engraved in his cheeks. Every time he so much as smiled, I'd feel like reaching up to feel how bottomless they were. Needless to say, I'd definitely tried it a few times and earned myself a flick on the face.

The three of us were sitting on the thin grass outside, our food laid down in front of our folded legs as we basked below the beautiful, stormy clouds of England, anticipating the very-much-expected rain.

We'd just started our lunch break and escaped the compulsory questionnaire that had been handed out to every member of Year Eleven who hadn't been weighed down by a bad record. I had no idea why the teachers thought it useful to fill up our bags with endless sheets of paper nearly every day. Did they not realise that the only use they had after suffering endless hours wrinkling up between books and pencil cases, they'd be used as scrap or thrown deep into pits of rubbish?

Speaking of rubbish, I couldn't help remembering my schedule with my aunt, Tina, after school. See the thing is, I love modelling and couldn't think of anything else I'd rather do - that was a bit more of a far fetched dream though. But I knew that what I did could never even come close. I would usually say it was down to luck that all of the jobs were small advertising companies who couldn't afford anyone else, but even my attempts to try out for little commercial jobs always came out completely and utterly fruitless. So I guess I should've been thankful that someone as young as I was at least got a few modelling jobs, but I was only human and that was nowhere near enough for me.

"What's wrong, Al?" Nate queried.

"N - "

"Oh my gosh, did I not tell you lot what my sister did to my bag yesterday?" Samantha interrupted, pulling her handbag in front of her to show us.

Nathan furrowed his eyebrows, looking between the two of us. I could tell he was confused because to be honest, so was I. Usually Sam would be the one to ask if I anyone was alright and listen completely with no interruptions.

I returned Nate's confused look before shrugging, maybe she thought I didn't want to talk about it I told myself, letting it go.

Soon though, it was all forgotten and we'd gone back to our usual lunch routine, with Nate and Samantha bickering once again.

Shaking her head, Samantha stood up and patted the stray leaves off her trousers. "Come on, lets go back inside. It's getting a little too windy out here." she said.

"Worried your hair will get messed up?" Nathan teased. Samantha rolled her eyes. "Yes. Unlike you, I care about my appearance."

Nathan's messy, black hair was something that usually irritated my female best friend and I, because he never made an effort with it. We had actually taken it upon ourselves to make sure it was even brushed in the mornings. It would've been such a shame to let pretty hair like that go to waste.

*-*-*

After I arrived home, I took a quick shower, knowing I'd be too lazy to take one later.

I grabbed a packet of crisps and trudged up to my room, closing the door behind me and flopping down onto my bed. I suddenly felt a sense of relief that the day was nearly over and I could get some rest before starting over tomorrow as I snuggled into the bed sheets, placing the food on the floor for later.

As I begun to drift off, the loud ringing of the house phone suddenly filled up the silence and I groaned loudly, muttering under my breath.

If Joey could just get here a few minutes early, I wouldn't have to go through the torture of walking all the way downstairs. But clearly, since it's been such a long day, why not add this to the mix? Just as I was about to finally get some sleep, something like this has to happen.

When I finally realised that my little brother wasn't going to come skipping through the door as soon as I snapped my fingers, I begrudgingly pushed the covers off me and made my way down to the non stop ringing telephone.

"Hello?"

"Hey hun, how was school?" My aunt greeted.

"Good, I just got home."

"Alright, just wanted to let you know that the ice cream shoot's been bumped up to 6, so you've got around - " she paused "let's say an hour before I come pick you up. Okay?"

My eyes closed and I resisted the urge to groan into the speaker. There goes my nap.

"Okay, see you." I hung up.

As I turned around to go back upstairs, I spotted something on the floor. Leaning down, I peered at the brown smudge. A spider. Jumping back with an undignified squeal, I bumped into the counter.

"Ow!" I grimaced, rubbing my back. Slowly walking backward I grabbed a tissue off the counter before moving quickly to grab the spider and quickly throw the tissue away. Staring at the spot where the spider was I let out a small laugh. Good thing Nathan didn't see it, I thought with a wide grin.

Nathan, for all his confident man act, was terrified of spiders. I remembered the first time I saw him and a spider in the same room. He'd screamed like a little girl and refused to come near the eight-legged creature, leaving me and Samantha to take care of it. He still hadn't lived it down.

I shook my head at the memory before running up to my bedroom and pulling on a pair of jeans and a T-shirt. The best thing was probably the fact that they provided the clothes, I thought with a grin. Wonder what I'd be wearing this time...