The Dancing Man

It was the 8th of June when the Dancing Man first came. Everyone simply adored him, he was like a beacon of light in the darkness of this sickness. The flu was going wild, everyone got sick, and more than half of them died. Even though he was obviously sick, the Dancing Man didn't show it. We all wished we were brave like him. But we weren't.

My little sisters, Bonny and Dolly, were at the climax of this flu. This was when it was decided if they would die or not. This is also the first time I met the Dancing Man, for he had come to entertain my sisters. He danced like a puppet on strings, seeming to do impossible moves. Bonny and Dolly laughed hysterically. He danced, sang, did puppet shows, and though both field were having fun, neither showed improvement.

The Dancing Man was taking a break, he was all worn out. I was busy in the kitchen, and decided to make him some cookies and milk. The cookies were my specialty. The way he was slumped in the chair frightened me, he looked do weak when I thought he was so strong. "You were brilliant," I mumbled, my back to him. He raised his head a little, "Of course I was, it's my job." Then his head fell back to staring at the ground.

I could almost cry I was so doomed, this was our legendary Dancing Man, at the height of his work! The cookies were finished, but he couldn't seem to smell their warmth. I sloshed some milk into a glass and set the snack on the table in front if the Dancing Man. "Yoohoo, wake up sleepy head!" I called. He blinked a few times and his eyes settled on the cookies and then me. "You're beautiful," He whispered. I chuckled, "I wouldn't say that, they're just batter and chocolate!" "No, you're beautiful," He corrected. I stared at him for a minute, trying to see if he was joking. But he had concentrated on the cookies and left me looking flabbergasted.

I sat with Bonny and Dolly, convincing myself that I was an ugly old hag. Dirty blond hair, pale ghostly skin, eyes the color of storms at sea, cheeks far too large for my own face. Yes, I was most definitely ugly. The Dancing Man entered the room, looking fresh and new, but I figured he'd slump down again when he left. Bonny and Dolly cheered. I stared at him longer, chocolate brown hair, slim narrow face, sky blue eyes, skin the color of cream. He was handsome. "Hurrah!" He cried and danced around the room. Bonny and Dolly were screaming with laughter. It made me happy to see them this way.

The Dancing Man was slouching towards the doorway where I waited with his twenty coins. "Here you are, sir," I said, placing them in his open palm. "What's your name?" He asked, staring at me. "Um...uh... Marie!" I stuttered. Why would he wish to know my name? He smiled, and rolled the sound on his tounge, "Marie, Marie, Marie... I like it! My name is Jon," He said brightly, straightened up, and held out his hand to shake. All the coins spilled out onto the floor. I shook his hand, which was pleasantly warm. "G'day Marie, I hope to see you again soon!" He skipped out onto the street, leaving his coins of the ground.