Chapter One

Boats floated on the water in the distance, bobbing gently up and down. When they were in sight I slowed my horse to a trot; I had made it.

My face was cold and I could feel my nose running. I raised my hand and touched my cheeks. They were wet and cool from the combination of tears and the bitter cold night air. I felt a dull ache in my heart, my entire being was numb. I had witnessed my closest friend die and now I had no one.

The chiming of horse shoes on stone reached my ears. Swiftly, I dismounted and led my horse to the boat that would take Guy, the Sheriff and I back to England. By the time they reached the port, my horse was untacked and loaded onto the boat. I sat on a wall, my cloak pulled tight around me shoulders in an attempt to keep the cold at bay.

The first of the men to approach was Guy. He swung himself off the horse and he traipsed towards me with his head hanging. They briefly exchanged a glance before he boarded, "Sadie." he acknowledged, his voice quiet and harsher than usual. He coughed to clear his throat and disappeared into the boat.

After watching him leave, I turned my attention to Vaisey. "Sire," I said and took a deep curtsey. "Where is Marian?" I asked, pretending to scan the surrounding area, as if I was unaware of my friend's fate.

"She, uh, met her maker this afternoon. Tragic loss, really." he said, clasping his hands in front of him. He gave me a curt nod and followed Gisborne onto the boat. My eyes threw daggers into his back; he disgusted me. How could he act so upset about Marian's demise when he really didn't give a damn about what happened to her?! All his life he's been a dirty, lying swine, I thought as I walked through the doorway and closed the door behind me.

The room that I was faced with now was small but cosy. Lamps hung at regular intervals around the walls, creating a warm glow. Bulky curtains hung from the only window but they were held open by silver clasps, allowing the moon's white light to spill onto a small circular table. The table was made of oak and stood in the centre of the room. On it were four place settings; one for me, one for Guy, one for the Sheriff and another for Marian... I swallowed hard and forced all thoughts of Marian out of my mind, taking a seat next to Guy. He was resting his elbows on the polished surface, his head in his hands. I looked at him sadly. He must be torturing himself, I thought.

We sat in silence, waiting for dinner to be served. Every so often I noticed the Sheriff throw Guy a filthy look, which he returned without hesitation.

Soon enough a plate of chicken legs and vegetables was placed in front of each of us.

"Thank you." I said, offering the waitress a kind smile. Guy inclined his head slightly and grunted, which is more than can be said for the Sheriff (who sat there with a hungry glint in his eye).

We ate in silence for quite some time before Vaisey decided to speak, his breathing heavy as he shovelled his food down his throat. "I wonder how Nottingham has been in my absence." he said, his words muffled by the food that was still in his mouth. I grimaced at this unpleasant behaviour. "Peaceful, I don't doubt. We'll have to have a few executions to celebrate my return, eh, Gisborne?"

Guy barely raised his head before he replied, "Yes, Sire."

"Eheheh, I do love a good execution." chuckled the Sheriff.

I scoffed and immediately thought better of it. Vaisey's eyes snapped up and stared into my own and Guy froze, his fork hovering above his plate.

"Don't you dare scoff at me, young lady." he hissed, "Get out."

I didn't budge, I just stared right back at him. "GET OUT!" he screamed.

I rose to my feet, "With pleasure, Uncle." I hissed, my voice dripping with sarcasm. The silence that followed was heavy and awkward. Clearly I had surprised everyone by calling Vaisey 'Uncle'; I hadn't called that since my father, his brother, had died. I turned on my heels and headed towards my room, but not before I momentarily caught Guy looking at me. His blue eyes were full of sorrow as he stared into my emerald green orbs. I returned his gaze and noticed something hidden deeper inside Guy; a plea. A plea for help. It was almost as if he was asking me not leave him... I tore my eyes away from him and continued towards my sleeping quarters, slamming the door shut behind me and collapsing on my bed. I searched my mind for a reason to be angry, but there wasn't one to found. The Sherrif's executions would fail, they always did. So why was I in such a state?

Then it clicked. Maybe it wasn't anger. Perhaps it was pain.