Sally

"Rebecca..." I heard my name and searched for who was calling me. "Rebecca?" Now I could tell that a little girl, maybe five, was saying my name. I took a few steps forward in this darkness, hoping not to run into a wall. "Rebecca!" I was closer now. I held my arms out in front of my to feel my way around. "Rebecca! Rebecca! Where are you!? Help me!" She screamed. The poor dear was terrified to death! "I'm coming!" I shouted, whoever she was, she needed me! "I can't find you!" I shouted again. I could hear her screaming and crying, "Rebecca! REBECCA!!! Help me! Please!" Tears were streaming down my cheeks and I began to run, but this darkness never ended. It seemed to go on forever! And then, I fell.

I woke up in my head, completely drenched with sweat. My little sister Janey was crying in the bed next to mine. Out of instinct, I got up to cradle her in my arms. "Shh Little Janey... What's wrong?" I mumbled and pressed her small brunette head against my breast. Her salty tears stained my nightgown. "B-B-Becca! There was this m-m-monster a-and-" I sighed, another bad dream. I guess I wasn't the only one, "Janey, shh, Janey... Calm down, everything's fine, it was just a bad dream," I soothed. Then I began to sing her favorite lullaby:

Calm down baby

You just may be

The sweetest thing there is

Calm down baby

You just may be

The best thing in my life

Janey had stopped crying and was asleep in my arms. I stroked her hair back over one ear and placed her in a little nest of blankets, pillows, and stuffed toys. Sighing, I collapsed back into my bed and fell asleep once again.

"Calm down baby..." A little girl sang somewhere, "You just may be the sweetest thing there is..." I jumped a little at how dark it had become and reached around for a lightswitch. "Hello?" I called. "Rebecca," She said, "Why don't you sing that song for me?" "Who are you? Where are you?" "My name is Sally." A small light turned on, but it was just a bulb on a chord hanging from darkness. Standing in the center of the light was a girl about Janey's age, five or so. She had golden blond hair, pale skin, gray eyes, and wore a white lace dress. This was Sally. Sally sang again, "Calm down baby, you just may be the best thing in my life." She grinned, "I love that song. But, why don't you sing that for me?" "Uh, um, I never knew you!" I stuttered. Sally frowned, "But I'm with you everyday!" "I don't see you everyday." "That's because Janey is hogging you!" "Shh, calm down Sally. Janey is my little sister."

Sally burst into tears, "I want you! I want you to be my big sister! I tried to get you to help me yesterday, but you wouldn't come! You wouldn't help me when they came! Why wouldn't you help me!?" I gasped, who had come for her!? Why was she so distressed? "Who came for you Sally?" I asked calmly. "I don't know!" She screamed, "But they come every night! They bring shiny pointy things! And they show me my mommy, but she's so red and wet! And she never helps me! Every night!" I gasped, what was happening? Where was I? I wanted out of this horrible place! I wanted out!

The light clicked off. "Sally?" I asked warily. "Rebecca! They're coming!" Sally screamed. Uh oh. I dashed forward, my arms flapping wildly as I dashed around looking for her. Sally kept screaming and screeching. I was so scared, I couldn't taste the blood when I bit my tounge. "Reeeebecca!!" She wailed. And then everything was silent. I stopped running, and all I could hear was my hoarse breathing and fluttering heartbeat. Oh Sally, are you alright? The padding of running feet. Someone small was running towards me, fast. "Sally?" Then I saw her, a dart of white that flung itself onto my stained nightgown. Her head was buried in the cloth and her blond hair was quivering madly.

"Rebecca," She moaned. "Sally? Oh Sally, what happened?" I whimpered. Sally looked up, eyes cold and glassy, her mouth and nose pouring blood, tears tainted red, skin even paler than before, and deep scratches carved in her once fair skin. "They did it again," She whispered. I gagged. "And now they're coming for you. Now you can stay with me forever." Someone was walking towards me from behind. Uh oh.

I didn't wake up.