Chapter 10: The King's Wrath

Hey guys i know its a really short chapter but it seemed like a good stopping point before introducing new characters. Hope you enjoy it! Vote comment! All would be awesome in helping with the Watty Awards! 

Chapter 10: The King’s Wrath

Coddling Moorwin to my chest I recalled yesterday’s events. The noise of my father’s neck being hacked off was permanently ingrained into my mind. All the blood mine and my sisters screams and pleas; I was weak. I will never be weak again; never.

No one was there to save my family not even me. It would never happen again. Violet was my only family I had left; excluding Moorwin. I would do anything for either even at the cost of my own life. I had to rescue my sister from the King’s clutches, and if that meant I would have to gather an army and storm the castle. Then that’s exactly what I will do. Family first.

I didn’t end up seeing Dimitiri in the following days; he must have been detained with his father. Which worried me; did his father know he was helping me? Would his own father punish him in the cruelest ways? Shutting my eyes I shook the thoughts away; no he was fine, Dimitri was fine.

Glancing down at Moorwin he had grown quickly in the days following his birth. Instead of being the size of a large cat he was now the size of a shetland pony. Apperently dragons grew a rapid speeds due to the fact they were hunted. The faster they grew the faster they could not only protect themselves but their dragon heirs aswell.

‘When will Dimitri be back mom?’ Moorwin asked looking at me from across the fire.

‘I don't know Moorwin, I don't know, I wish I did.’ I sighed begging to become truly worried about him. After he had left for the first time I had gone and fetched the sword and my bows. I would have to leave soon. I would never recruit followers in the woods. No matter how much I wanted to stay and be visited by Dimitri; that wasn’t the way things were going to work.

I had a job to do and it wasn’t sitting the Red Wood waiting for him. If what Emera had told me was true then my destiny lied elsewhere. I had to get up learn to control the powers given to me; to Moorwin. We had to work together to overthrow an evil King; one with no mercy and no remorse. He wouldn’t be the only one with no mercy.

‘Mother,’

‘Yes?’

‘Are you alright?’

‘I’m fine Moorwin, eat’ I told him pushing some meat towards him. I had shot a deer with my bow early in the morning; my share was being roasted over the fire. I drew my cloak tighter around my shoulders and glanced at Moorwin. He was feasting on his meat gleefully. Dragons such powerful creatures that could destroy anything; Moorwin trusted me more than anything. Did that apply to other dragon heirs? Dragons could either wreak havoc or create beauty. Which will I create?

I had just begun to eat when thundering hoof beats where rabidly approaching. Startled I instantly rose to my feet grasping the nearest weapon in my hands; the sword. Not all riders were friendly. I stamped out my fire and kicked my stuff behind a tree.

‘Moorwin go, fly.’

‘Mother what’s happening?’

‘Now!’ I growled. Moorwin’s eyes were flooded with fear at my tone. Spreading his wings he took off into the air; just yesterday he had learned to fly short distances. I slipped behind the tree gripping the sword tighter I inhaled deeply prepared to protect myself and Moorwin.

“Ariya!” Dimitri called. Tension flooded from my body making me relax. Loosening my grip on the sword I walked from behind the tree.

“I was wondering how long it would take you to get back,” I smiled speaking as I exposed myself. But when my eyes met his all my earlier tension snapped back into my body. Something was wrong, terribly wrong. Dimitri’s eyes were filled with wild fear and worry.

“You need to leave! Now! My father,” he breathed heavily. Racing towards him I put a hand on his knee.

“Breath Dimitri, breath.”

“My father he knows Ariya, he knows you are the dragon heir, and that you are in the Red Wood. You need to leave, now!” My blood turned to ice, he was coming to kill me.

“How?”

“A man saw you with Moorwin.” Clenching my teeth I stepped back from him.

‘Moorwin, come.’ I told him.

“I have no horse; Moorwin can’t carry me. I will never be able to out run them.”

“That’s why I brought your friend; Samuel.”

“Samuel?” I asked surprised. Peering around Dimitri I saw Samuel on Roc holding Lady’s reins. “Samuel!” I cried racing to him I practically pulled him from the horse in a hug. He was a familiar face, a face before everything went into chaos. “Thank you,” I breathed in his ear.

“Welcome Ariya, I’d do anything to help you. My family and I agreed to give you Lady so you could escape.” He told me smiling.

“Thank you!”

“We will always be here for you; every one of us.” Samuel told me smiling broadly but it quickly fell. “You need to get out of here. Dimitri barely got out of the castle in time to warn you. And Ariya, I grabbed this from your house.” Samuel reached to behind his saddle and grabbed a floppy leather sheath. “For your sword.” Sighing I took it from his hands and slid the sword into the sheath and tied it at my hips.  

“Thank you, both of you.” I told them stepping away. Running back to the tree I collected the nap sack Dimitri had given me and slung it across my back along with my bow and quiver. Pursing my lips I whistled to Moorwin. He came instantly he landed just behind me with a thud.

Dimitri looked impressed at Moorwin’s growth Samuel on the other hand looked bewildered. His eyes were wide his brow clear to his hair line. I just chuckled at his face; Moorwin was a living breathing dragon. He was nothing compared to Emera’s size but he will be eventually then he will be something to truly gaze at in wonder.

“He is beautiful,” Samuel breathed in awe.

“I know,” I smiled proudly racing forward I took Lady’s reins from him. “Moorwin come,” Moorwin came trotting over. Stepping up onto his back I got on Lady.

‘Moorwin we have to go, you’re going to have to fly alright love?’ I told him looking down at my dragon.

‘Yes mother,’

“Thank you again, I will come back. I will get word to you guys somehow.” I smiled. “Goodbye,” I sighed. I was truly going to miss their faces. I could hear battle cries and shrieks in the background; the king’s convoy was nearing.

“I’m must go, I’ll see you soon Ariya.” Samuel said before disappearing into the Red Wood. Dimitri moved his horse close to mine; close enough to where he could grab my hand.

“Please be careful Ariya, for me.”

“Of course,” I whispered brining his hand up I placed a light kiss on his knuckles. The battle cries grew louder setting worry deep into my bones. “Go, before they find you.” I said pushing his horse’s rump. “Goodbye Dimitri.” I smiled before pushing Lady into a gallop.

I have never been beyond the Red Wood. I had no clue what lay beyond or who. But it was something I would have to learn. I could hear Moorwin flying up above high in the branches of the tree. I pushed Lady faster and soon the cries could no longer be heard. It helped relieve my worry slightly but didn’t fully make it go away. There was still the chance; a chance I couldn’t take. Lady, Moorwin and I would all be exhausted but alive; and that’s what matters.