Chapter 38: Foretold

Chapter Thirty-eight
Foretold

“You little shit.”

My locker is slammed shut right beside my head and I look to the side to see Avery's irritated face staring back at me.

“You went, didn't you?” she asks, though I know she doesn't expect an answer because she already knows. “God, you are so reckless and stubborn and stupid– “ She stops herself and leans in close. “Did you really think I wouldn't smell them on you? You reek of wolf and panther.”

“I don't know what you're talking about.” I walk away. She doesn't give up that easy.

“Don't play dumb. Did anyone see you?” she asks, following close behind me. “You have enough people trying to kill you, Parker, you don't need any more.”

“No one saw me.” I say.

Kind of.

Avery stops.

“You lied just now.” she says then repeats; “Did anyone see you?”

“No.”

“Lie. I can hear your heart beating.”

“Damn.”

“Who?” she asks again.

I sigh. “Another Werewolf. He stayed wolf the whole time, didn't try to hurt me – he protected me actually. I think.”

“You think?”

“There were some other wolves – some mangled creatures he called Rabid's.”

Avery's face twists in disgust. “There were Rabid's there?”

“You don't like them?”

"They kind of, you know, freak me out.” she admits. “They were human once and now – well, you've seen them.”

“Yeah,” I say, thinking back to the hyena-laughs and the creaking bones. I shake the memory away. “Anyway, this wolf kept them away from me, drove them off, then made sure I got back to my car safely.”

“Did this wolf have a name?” she asks.

“Raoul.”

A crease appears between her brows as her face is pinched into a thoughtful frown. “Sounds kind of familiar.”

She thinks about it for a minute while I open up my locker again and start unloading my books for the next two classes. When I've gathered them in my arms I close the locker door and slip away before she can stop me.

“Hey! I'm still not happy with you!” she shouts after me.

“And I'm not happy with you either.” I call back to her, throwing her a 'what-are-you-gonna-do' smirk. “We've all got our problems.”

-
-

Avery texts me during class to tell me we need to go to Lochton after school.

At lunch Lara chews Avery out about her obligations as a friend and the wonders of the amazing mobile phone to my uttermost joy. When the end of the day comes we pile into the Impala and drive to Lochton.

“I think you should name your car.” Avery says as we pull up out the front of Jennifer's apartment building.

“Name my car?” I ask with amused dubiety.