Chapter Two: A New Romance

~Chapter Two

             After falling back asleep, morning seemed to have come in an instant. My alarm clock blared, pulling my head out from the blackness and into my first reality. I groaned and snapped my hand down onto the snooze button. I closed my eyes once more and drifted back to sleep. Almost as if in an instant, the alarm blared again, making me jump awake. I turned it off and slid out of bed slowly; then dragged myself to the bathroom down the hall. I pulled myself to look in the mirror and groaned at the mess that I had to work with this morning.

            Twenty minutes later, my long black hair was straightened and put up in a ponytail; my green eyes were surrounded by black and red eyeliner; and my lips were outlined with some lipstick. I nodded at myself then strolled back to my plain white room filled with black furniture and stripped of my pajamas and into my work clothes – khaki skirt, white button-up short-sleeved shirt and a pink studded belt. Time: 6:34 AM. I stared at the clock,

            “How had it only been half an hour?” I sighed and pulled out my book to read for 15 minutes until I have to go to work for the day.

------x-------

            I looked at the clock after reading four short chapters of my book, 6:50. I put my yellow bookmark in my book and grabbed my shoulder bag and dragged it to my blue beat up car. It took about four tries to get it started. The snow that was piled on top of it must have made it froze. I revved it up just enough so it would finally start.

            “Please Jesus, keep me safe,” I mumbled to the cross hanging down from my rear-view mirror. I pulled out of my driveway and started off to my job at the local restaurant, Bob’s Corner Restaurant, downtown, only five minutes away. It wasn’t much, but it paid my monthly rent – barely. The roads weren’t even plowed yet, which made it even harder to get there, plus morning traffic would make my time twice as long.

            I pulled out my cell phone and dialed in my boss’ number. It rang once… then twice… three… four.

            “Hello?” His assistant answered.

            “Markus!” I called him by his first name, “I’m going to be late today, only by a few minutes though.”

            “Seriously? Again?” he sighed quietly, “I’ll make an excuse.” He hung up, as did I.

            “Thank God for Markus Webber.” I smiled. He had been my best friend since 3rd grade and we did everything for each other.

------x------

            I got to work and rushed inside through the back door which Markus was having a cigarette by. He saw me, put his cig out and called to me as I approached him,

            “Hurry up. Table two has customers!”

            “The heck? Who eats here this early!?” I gave Markus a quick hug as he took my jacket and I ran inside – nearly tripping in my high heels.

            Table Two – two older people. Good, this will go fast. WRONG!

            “Honey, what do you think we should have?” The lady said. Seriously? You didn’t think all this time?

            “Well. Hm…” The man looked over a menu. Did you even open it?

            “So, I’ll give you a few minutes!” I tried to turn and walk away, but the lady waved her hand at me.