p r o l o g u e

Someday, you might wake up with a big smile on your face. You'll have your day planned, you dreams set, your bags packed; everything will be the way you want it to be. You'll wake up next to the girl you call yours, the girl that makes you smile and cry, the girl whose love might seem the best thing to have. You'll get into the car, start the engine, and start your journey. When you woke up, you opened the book. As you started achieving, you started writing your own history. Your girl will look over at you. She'll be thinking of how lucky she is to have you. How lucky she is to be a part of your history, a part of your day's journey. It's crazy how you might be thinking the same thing. What you both don't know is that no one's luckier than the car that was able to be in both of your histories, a part of both your journals, and the one to witness a love nothing can burn out.

     Someday, you might wake up with a tear running down your cheek. Your bed seems to be cold, your room's walls seem to be closing up on you, and your world seems to be crashing down on you. You look around to notice that you're all alone. You'll get into the car and start the engine, driving aimlessly, just hoping to forget the pain. It seems that everywhere you go, you find people smiling and laughing. You find people who aren't experiencing what you are; you find people who are loved. You'll stop the car to cry, but no matter how hard you try to scream, it comes out muffled. You're stuck, and want to find your way out. You want to find your way to the happiness you once had. You want to know how in the world did the rug get pulled under your feet so quick.

     Someday, you might wake up with guilt eating you alive. You'll look at the broken frames on the ground; the torn pictures that held memories you might never experience again, the phone you threw across the room, and the holes your punches left in the walls. You realize how messed up you were to let this happen; you blame it all on yourself. No matter how many steps you take forward, the amount of steps you take backwards is always the ascending one. You realize how far you let this go and how no matter what you do; you'll never be able to fix the broken glass you left behind; not when pieces are missing. You give up. You give up on life, on the people who thought you'd stand right back up after the hit, on the only person who's just waiting for you to fix things, on love; on yourself.

     Someday, you might wake up frightened. A nightmare you never wanted to become reality made its way to your head while you were asleep, taking its chance to drown you in your pool of fears. You check your phone to notice how you've got no new messages or missed calls for the third day in a row. You call the number your fingers dial without hesitation, but all you get is the voice mail answering. You furrow your eyebrows and go down to the living room, noticing how dark and lonely the house has become. You frown, your fear getting the best of you as everything looks familiar. You turn on the TV and scroll through the channels to find some peace, but every channel played the exact same thing, said the same exact news, let out the same amount of sighs. You try to run away from the obvious truth and turn off the TV, but no matter how hard it is, it's still reality; your nightmare has come to life.

     Someday, you might wake up exhausted. Exhausted and it might seem so hard to continue living the way you are at that moment. You lay in bed, finding no interest in moving out of it. What's the point, anyways? But you still search your mind for that one day that you woke up happy, and it hurts you to know that it took you a while to find that memory that you stacked far in the back of your head a long time ago. It's what's lurking in your mind that keeps you alive, but also what kills you every step you take. Every breath you exhale. Every blink you make. You wanna finish it all; you wanna finish your suffering, but you prefer to keep torturing in hope of something good soon happening. No matter how far it seems, no matter how exhausted you might get, no matter how painfully life is stabbing you; you'll always have that hope until you don't need it anymore and everything turns back to the peaceful state it once was in.

     I let my eyes flutter open as the sun rays shone through the curtains, letting their heat warm up the cold atmosphere my room was engulfed in. I stared at the window, refusing to move an inch out of my bed. I think I was staring for too long as pigeons flew onto the ledge and were perched there for quite a while. There were two, actually. They were strolling on the window sill back and forth, as if they were searching for some lost item. They were grey, with a beak that was right below their two black, circular eyes and two holes for a nose. Simply, they looked like any other pigeons you'd encounter in this city. They were squealing into the air, screaming at precisely nothing. You would've thought they were screaming to each other if they made any eye contact, but they didn't. I laughed hoarsely, pulling the sheets up from my torso all the way to my chin, keeping my feet exposed to the piercing cold of the room. I imagined them being a married couple, bickering about something and refusing to make eye contact. The dude would say, "I'm always working my tail off for this family and no one is appreciating it," and his wife would object by saying, "and I'm not only a wife anymore, but a cook and a chauffeur and a mother and a teacher. That is not acceptable, George!" Yes, I imagined the guy's name being George, because a George seems like a jerk type of name. Just as I was about to figure out the woman's name, a voice startled.

     "Is this what loneliness does to a person?" The voice I've recognized quite well said, topping her sentence off with a chuckle. I hadn't noticed I talked out loud, so her comment caught me totally off guard, letting the heat rise up to my cheeks. I smiled, but immediately hid it as I sat up in bed.

     "And you're here because?" I retaliated, watching as she dragged the bean chair next to my bed and sank into it. "I'm getting out of bed, anyways."

     "Well, to answer your question, I thought visiting you at any time was an open invitation," Adriana Warren said, cocking a brow at me.

     "Well, yeah, if you want to get caught and killed," I answered, smiling as I walked to the toilet adjoined to the room to wash away the exhaustion of last night.

     "Don't worry; I've got mad skills in sneaking around." I said an 'Ah' I don't think she'd heard and walked back in. "I mean, I have to in case I want this to work - us, I mean." I kneeled down in front of her and pulled her into my arms, mumbling a quick "hello, there" as I wasn't able to greet her well the first time my eyes lay on her. She mumbled back a "hi" and I pulled away, pulling her up with me. Letting myself drop into the bean chair, I grabbed her wrist and pulled her down onto my lap, letting her squeal give me pleasure as I laughed. It was then when I noticed how long it had been since I've seen her, and it pained to know that it might be long before I'd see her again. I pulled her into my arms once more, taking in her scent and the warmth her body radiated enough to save me a while. "We'll be alright; I know it." Her voice had this uncertainty that made my heart sink and my grip to tighten around her waist. I breathed heavily against her hair, pulling away and tucking a strand of her brown waves behind her ear. I smiled slightly, kissing her cheek and letting my dry lips brush against her right ear.

     "Have I mentioned how good you look this morning?"

// Hey, you guys. So, this is the prologue of my story "Drugged Hearts". This might be confusing, but the idea was inspired by my all time favorite writer John Green. You see, in his bestselling novel "Paper Towns," he started it with a small part from one of the chapters in that book. So, this is sort of the same. You'll be seeing this part in one of the chapters later in the book. I hope you like it, though, and I would appreciate some feedback on it, too. Vote, comment, and share if you like. Thank you so much for giving this a chance xx //