Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Aubrey's POV

"What was that?" Holden chuckled as he cocked his head to the side

I hate the cockiness in his tone and especially that I am giving myself to Holden willfully. Nothing can change my love for Hunter and I'm glad we had that special night, the problems of our lives stopped for those brief hours.

When I am with Holden I'll always remember Hunter. The wonderful night he made me his will become a safe sanctuary that no one can taint.

"You heard me." I said in a shaky voice

"Over my dead body." Hunter growled dropping his hand from his torso

Although the front of his shirt was soaked in wet blood beneath the torn fabric was nothing. Not even a scratch.

"That can be arranged besides I need you gone before I can make Aubrey mine." Holden said

"What does that mean?" I asked the fear clear in my question

"One of the mates has to die for another mating to work." Holden answered as he stared above my head towards Hunter

Hunter can't die! The whole reason I said I'd become Holden's was for Hunter to stay safe.

"No, I'll be your mate and everything that comes with it. I'll even talk to my uncle about letting the trespassing situation go but Hunter has to stay alive." I ordered not even considering a compromise

"You aren't going to touch my mate you son of a bitch." Hunter hissed through clenched teeth

Hunter had his fists balled at his sides, his knuckles white as snow as his body trembled. A deep red staining his emerald green eyes.

Holden was oblivious to Hunter's change, he waved him off as if Hunter was a fly buzzing over his head.

"It's not the same and I want all of you not whatever the rogue left me." Holden said as he pointed his nose up

I shook my head feeling my chest tighten with panic, think Aubrey!

"If you kill Hunter I'll make sure my uncle rips this town apart." I threatened

The smugness vanished from Holden's face, he pressed his lips together as he searched my expression for any sign of a bluff. I love Blue Haven but not as much as Hunter.

A few of wolves exchanged a look of worry, I hadn't known my uncle's pack was powerful enough to scare them but I'm glad it did. Feeling confident I yanked my arm away from Holden's grasp.

With an excited smile I jogged over to Hunter who was beaming with what I recognized was pride. His eyes returned to their color although it was darker and his body no longer trembled with anger.

Reaching my arms out I wrapped them around Hunter's neck relieved he is okay. Inhaling his earthy scent I let a breath I hadn't realized I was holding.

I nestled my face into his neck as his long muscular arms came around my waist. Just as I thought it was over two pairs of hands gripped my shoulder tearing me away from Hunter's warm embrace.

Two wolves leaped at Hunter just as he stepped forward. I watched in horror as their large paws dug into his chest causing trickles of blood to run down as his body slammed into the grassy ground with a sickening thud.

"Except Matt won't if your my mate." Holden said as he came up to my side

Holden nodded his head at the wolves-they replied by pushing down on Hunter's body, Hunter groaned as a crunching sound echoed.