Chapter 4 - April's Claim To Fame

Zach had replied to my text really quickly the night before.  It was settled that we’d meet at the old coffee shop Java Joe’s in Hollywood.  April dressed to impress in a coral chiffon blouse patterned in navy blue birds, dark high rise denim shorts and my cream leather coat.  Her hair was scraped away neatly in a braided bun and Erica loaned her a pair of Ray Ban sunglasses to set off the look nicely.

If anyone walking around town saw April, but did not know her from Adam, I reckoned they would’ve made any excuse to talk to her.  I however, tried not to dress as nicely, so I pulled on some pale skinny jeans and a yellow tank top.  No accessories or up do’s required.

Zach was already sat at a table close to the front with his Letterman jacket hanging on the back of his chair and two coffee’s on the table before him.

“I did the honours of ordering you one of those herbal teas you like so much.”

“Thanks, that’s sweet.”

“So what did you want to see me about?”

“It’s about this.” I said, pulling out the prom ticket.  “I can’t take it.”

“What?” his smile faltered.  “But you said…”

“I know.  But I’ve had time to think now and I’ve realised I’ve not been a very good friend.”

“To me?”

“To April.”

“April who?”

I felt gobsmacked.  Either he was lying or trying to avoid the inevitable but from his confused and shocked expression I wasn’t so sure.

“April Green.  You know her, everyone knows her.”

“Is she on the cheerleading team?”

“No, she’s well known for something else.  There’s more than one kind of fame at our school Zach.  There are the cool jocks, cheerleaders and preppies.   And then there are the bottom dwellers who get pushed around by everyone else.”

“So where does Amy come into this?”

“APRIL!” I shouted angrily.  “April Green.  The girl who is famous for being in love with you since she was eight years old.  The girl Kristen Lowndes takes no shame in bullying day in day out since kindergarten.”

“I’m sorry, I don’t know her.”

“Wow!  Here’s your ticket.  And find someone else to tutor you.”

April hadn’t heard any of it as she was waiting outside for me to leave Zach sitting there alone.  I tried to stop her before she went in but she wasn’t listening and there was an awful look of excitement on her face.  I was about to follow in after her when a raven haired someone nudged me out of the way.

Kristen made her way over to the counter but watched in amusement as April sat down in front of Zach.  She watched like a vulture from the side lines as the barista brewed her coffee.  I edged into a seat near the toilets so I could hear April’s conversation with Zach.

“Hi Zach, can I sit?”

“Um… sure.”

“I was just wondering if you’ve got a date to prom yet?”

“Well, I did have one till about two minutes ago.”

“That’s a shame.  But, look, I know it’s traditional for a boy to ask girl to prom but I was wondering…”

“Sorry, can I stop you for a second?” he asked.

Kristen moved ever closer with her steaming cup of coffee in her hands.