Chapter 6

Davina’s POV

“So I like the red one, but Lyssa says blue suits me better…” Bronwyn pondered over her dresses, switching from the red one back to the blue. I stifled a groan, they were the same except for the colour; did it really matter? I had never been a big fan of shopping, especially with Bronwyn; she took forever just to pick one item.

“Red, pick red,” I muttered, leaning back in my chair where I had been for the last half hour, watching Bronwyn search through different garments.

“But what about the blue!” whined Bronwyn, clutching the blue dress tightly.

“Then take both!” I cried, restraining myself from pulling out my black hair.

“But I don’t have the money,” pouted Bronwyn, tossing the blue one onto the floor. I put my head in my hands, annoyance and frustration threatening to burst out of me.

“Davina, Bronwyn, which one do you prefer?” Clarisse appeared out of her changing room, wearing a long purple dress that swept the floor. She smiled hesitantly, flicking her curly brown hair out of her eyes. In her other hand she held up a short, dark green dress, the same colour as Aamor’s eyes.

“Purple,” I answered immediately. Clarisse frowned at me, confused by my quick response.

“Do you not like the green dress?” she inquired, hiding it behind her back.

I shook my head, “The green is beautiful, but purple suits you better. Trust me.”

She smiled, “Purple it is then!”

“Okay, this is all fun picking out dresses, but we’re going to the beach,” I stated, folding my arms.

Bronwyn laughed, “These dresses aren’t for the beach silly. They’re for the Greenwood camp.”

“What?” I blurted out, staring at her. Since when did Greenwood have a camp?

Bronwyn rolled her eyes, “Every year, Mr. Preston organizes a camp for each year group. Grade twelve has the best, but grade eleven is also spectacular. Of course, our parents have to pay for it, but it’s going to be amazing.”

“Not to mention the boys,” Clarisse winked at me, “And I must admit, Corin’s brother is hot.”

Bronwyn immediately froze, “Seth?”

“Um, yeah, who else?” Clarisse giggled, walking back into her changing room. Bronwyn was silent, as if she hadn’t heard Clarisse’s last remark. I stared at her, something about Clarisse liking Seth had completely torn her apart; I had no idea why. When I left, our small group was intact. Bronwyn, Regan, Seth, two other girls called Jolene and Cassidy and three other boys called Curtis, Owen and Tristan. Of course, I used to be part of that group until Regan kicked me out.

Regan had always been the leader; I was sort of her ‘second-in-command’ if you would call it that, until the incident. Bronwyn hung below us with Seth and Tristan. The rest, Curtis, Owen, Jolene and Cassidy were sort of their own group, only joining with us to make us look more intimidating. It seemed Seth and Jolene, who I had seen a few times, were the only ones that remained with Regan. I had seen Tristan around with Ethan and Corin at times, but had avoided him at all costs, I had never gotten on well with him. As for Owen, Curtis and Cassidy, they must have left Greenwood.

Nine was supposedly a ‘lucky number’, yet when I was kicked out it changed to eight. There wasn’t anything special about eight. I guess you could call it ironic that the eight broke apart.

“Anyway,” Bronwyn plastered a smile on her lips, skipping over to me, the dresses left on the side, “You’ll like camp. Apparently, in grade eleven, we go into the woods and stay in cabins. There’s different tasks and stuff, shopping sprees, beach parties and best of all, fireworks.” Bronwyn had always had an obsession with fireworks.