Chapter 1

Gandalf lead the company down towards the valley as they walked across a bridge and enter Rivendell. A few elves are seen strolling about. Bilbo gazes in awe at the beauty of the place. The dwarves look uneasy. When they all stop in the courtyard Gandalf glanced up almost frozen when he saw a young woman dressed in armour standing tall by her balcony. The dwarves followed his gaze as they gasped at her crown.

“Mithrandir.” A voice called out as their gaze all dropped towards a dark-haired elf as he walks down a flight of stairs and greets them. Thorin glanced back up at the balcony to see no one there as he frowned wondering if he had imagined seeing her.

“Ah, Lindir!” Gandalf smiled as as Lindir and Gandalf greet each other, the dwarves murmur amongst themselves in distrust. Thorin whispers to Dwalin. “Stay sharp.”

“Lastannem i athrannedh i Vruinen. [We heard you had crossed into the Valley.]" Lindir spoke to Gandalf in Elvish as the dwarves all stiffened unable to understand what he was saying.

“I must speak with Lord Elrond.” Gandalf informed as he nodded.

"My lord Elrond is not here.”

“Not here? Where is he?” Gandalf asked surprised when suddenly, the Elvish horns from earlier are heard again. The Company turns around and they see a group of armed horsemen approaching along the bridge at a rapid rate.

“Ifridî bekâr [Ready weapons!’] Hold ranks!” Thorin shouted out as the dwarves bunch up together into a tight circle with their weapons pointed outward; Bofur quickly pulls Bilbo in towards the centre of the circle as the mounted Elves arrive and ride in circles around the dwarves. Eventually, they stop, and one elf, Elrond, separates himself from the others.

“Gandalf.” Lord Elrond happily called out as Gandalf bows gracefully.

“Lord Elrond. Mellonnen! Mo evínedh?” [My friend! Where have you been?] Gandalf asked.

“Farannem ‘lamhoth i udul o charad. Dagannem rim na Iant Vedui.”  [We’ve been hunting a pack of Orcs that came up from the South. We slew a number near the Hidden Pass.] Lord Elrond informed as he dismounts from his horse, then he and Gandalf hug.

“Strange for Orcs to come so close to our borders. Something, or someone, has drawn them near.” Lord Elrond chuckled as he holds up an Orc sword and shows it to everyone, then hands it to Lindir.

“Ah, that may have been us.” Gandalf nodded guiltily as Thorin steps forward, and Elrond looks upon him with recognition. What they didn't know was up from her balcony near the door Saphira was listening, she felt aches in her heart from the screams of her dragon. She was fascinated by the group and she didn't understand why.

“Nartho i noer, toltho i viruvor. Boe i annam vann a nethail vin.” [no subtitles; translation is: Light the fires, bring forth the wine. We must feed our guests.] Lord Elrond spoke as the dwarves grew uneasy.

“What is he saying? Does he offer us insult?” Gloin demanded as the dwarves grow bellicose and grip their weapons uneasily. Gandalf speaks exasperatedly.

“No, master Gloin, he’s offering you food.” The dwarves quickly discuss this amongst themselves.

“Ah well, in that case, lead on.”

******************

The dwarves are sitting around tables in the Elven court, eating. However, they are not very appreciative of the Elves’ vegetables. An Elf maiden plays a harp in the background whilst Lord Elrond and Gandalf sophisticatedly eat their dinner. An elf maiden plays a flute; Oin, not liking the sound, stuffs a napkin in his hearing trumpet, and looks happy that he can no longer hear the music.