Chapter 35

~ 224 votes! You guys are totally wicked!!!

ahaa, that used to be in one of my favorite movies(:

Thank you all for the comments, votes, and addition to libraries!

Hope you like this chapter, it's one of the 'turning' points in a way.

Chapter 35

Marc

            The first thing I realized was the taste of salt on my lips. The next was Dakoda was kissing me. Only after one day of her trying to get me back for changing her, she was kissing me. If it wasn’t because of the circumstances, I would’ve been thrilled. In fact, right now, I would most definitely be kissing her back if I still wasn’t digesting the words she had spoken only a few moments ago. As it was, regretfully, I pulled away slightly, and she shrank down as she went back to being flat on her feet.

            “What did you say?” I demanded. “My dad...” I trailed off. She shook her head again, drawing away from me, going to sit on the couch. She brought her knees up to her chest, still shaking. Someone cleared their throat, so my body angled towards the doorway where Cayden was standing, seeming uncertain. He went over to sit by Dakoda, putting an arm around her shoulders in a comforting gesture, eyes flashing towards me as if to say, ‘somebody needs to do it’.

Shaking off a small strand of jealousy, I went out to the kitchen where Liza and Saxon were both sitting still, their faces smoothed over. It was a normal thing to see, a small comfort after the accusation that I wasn’t ready to handle being the next alpha. Even if I wasn’t one hundred percent ready for the position, there was no need for complete and utter perfection. Saxon would be my Beta, and he would do a good job of it. Liza may only be my cousin, but she was my third-in-command in a way. It may not stand that way forever, but for now, it would work.

            “Changing Dakoda was stupider than I thought. My dad wants to use his alpha orders to control her in a way. He wants to use her against me.” I jerked my head in a harsh shake while explaining what was going on. “Great. Just fantastic.” I spoke sarcastically. My day was going splendidly.

Sarcasm I hope?

‘Well it sure isn’t true.’

            “It might not work if he did try and order her to hurt you.” Cayden spoke from my back. My gaze locked onto him, Dakoda was still gripping his hand, her knuckles white, but a steely resolve hardened those hazel eyes of hers. She could cope with this and for that I was thankful.

‘What did Cayden mean by that, and how on Earth did he reach that conclusion?’

I’m glad I’m not the only one completely lost here.

            “Of course it would work. He’s alpha.” Liza frowned as she spoke.

            “Marc, think back to when you were a kid. When Meeko... when he died.” Dakoda was frowning at Cayden’s words, but I did as he told me to. There was nothing super sentimental about it, nor was anything fascinating, or important besides the fact, ya’ know, my brother died. “Tell me why Meeko was killed. The reason your dad had told us.” Cayden urged me.

            “Because he disobeyed alpha’s order.” The words left my lips instantly.

            “Oh.” Dakoda gasped. “I get it.” She murmured. Slowly, a smile began to spread across her face. “That’s perfect!” She squeezed Cayden’s hand. “Brilliant.”