Castle Review

Castle: “You know what? This isn't about your mother's case anymore. This is about you needing a place to hide, because you've been chasing this thing so long, you're afraid to find out who you are without it.”

Beckett:” You don't know me, Castle. You think you do, but you don't.”

Castle: “I know you crawled inside your mother's murder and didn't come out. I know you hide there the same way you hide in these nowhere relationships with men you don't love. You could be happy, Kate. You deserve to be happy. But you're afraid.”

Beckett: “You know what we are, Castle? We are over.”

A writer and a Homicide Detective as an item. As funny as it may sound, it is absolutely true. Published and Best-selling New York Author, Richard “Rick” Castle and career driven, tough beauty Kathryn “Kate” Beckett have joined forces after Castle gets writers block because he kills off his main character in his upcoming new mystery novel, "Storm Falls". Rick then asked his friend, the mayor, if he could be part of a couple of homicide cases to give him more ideas for future books. He ended up staying for 3 years. I wonder why?

Det. Kate Beckett has been part of an ongoing search to solve a conspiracy that her mum was killed in. When she finds out that a dangerous Hit-man, who can provide vital information to the murder of her mum, has been transferred from a Corrections Facility to a General Population Prison, she gets her hopes up. Although Beckett thinks she has a strong lead, the rest of the team, especially best friend and valentine Richard Castle, fear for the worst.

The table turning, heart stopping season 3 finale of Castle is finally here and has captivated the audience like none of the other episodes have ever done. All Castle fanatics know that Homicide Detective Kate Beckett has been trying to fit together all the puzzle pieces related to her mother’s coded death, and now that “Knockout” is finally here, it all comes together.

In the first episode of Castle, they revealed that Beckett was very closely following her mother’s homicide and watchers knew that, although there were many people involved, they all had a higher power governing them. In following episodes like “Deep in Death”, where Castle starts helping Beckett in trying to solve her mother’s Homicide, “Sucker Punch”, where while solving another murder, forensic doctor Lanie, stumbles onto a lead in Johanna Beckett’s case, “To Love and Die in LA” where a close friend of Beckett and a Cop investigating the murder of Johanna Beckett dies and “Knockdown”, where another Cop associated with Johanna Beckett’s murder case is found dead, this proves to Det. Kate Beckett that although it may seem like she’s going around in circles, each time she goes around, she finds a new pathway.

Beckett: “What about you, Rick?”

Castle: “Of course I don't want anything to happen to you. I am your partner, your friend...”

Beckett: “Is that what we are?”

Castle: “Alright, I don't know what we are. We kiss, and then we never talk about it. We nearly die, frozen in each other's arms but we never talk about it. So I got no clue of what we are. I know I don't want to see you throw your life away.”

Jim Beckett: “She cares about you, Rick. And unless you're a lot dumber than you look, I know you care about her.”

Beckett: (eulogy for Capt.Montgomery) “Roy Montgomery taught me what it meant to be a cop. He taught me that we are bound by our choices. But we are more than our mistakes. Captain Montgomery once said to me for us there are no victory; there are only battles. And in the end the best you can hope for is to find a place to make your stand. And if you're very lucky, you find someone willing to stand with you (turns and looks at Castle).”

When you do things that puts you out of your comfort zone for another person who isn’t forcing you to, it means that you love them. Moreover, when you are old enough to make your own choices, you would expect to not let your career, passion or any obstacle, whatsoever, to get in the way of that. You would expect the same for Castle and Beckett, officially named “Caskett.” As regular watchers of Castle know, the two of them have a true love for each other, where neither of them can put a mental block in the way of that, and when something happens to the other, they NEED to be there by their side. Who could argue that that isn’t true love? Despite all this, why aren’t Kate and Rick acting on it? Is it because the other isn’t smart? Rich? Good-looking? The families don’t accept the other? Why? They are perfect for each other! But, as the producers put it, once the two become one, the show will die down. So, Castle romance supporters are put in a tough spot. The show or the characters? This naturally make you say, “the show.”

Castle(After gunshot) “Kate! No Kate... Ssh. Kate please. Stay with me Kate. Don't leave me, please. Stay with me okay? Kate... I love you. I love you, Kate........”

This scene is the most beautiful. After “The Third Cop”, Captain Roy Montgomery is put in a tough position where he has to choose either his family or Beckett, he gives his life instead. What he doesn’t realise is, that there was no point in giving his life because in any case, Hal Lockwood(trained killer/blackmailer) is going to kill Kate. Fans also breathed a sigh of relief though after Montgomery was shot, because they thought that Hal was dead after Montgomery shot him and that Kate and Rick and the rest of the team would be safe. This part of the show shocked viewers. “Roy Montgomery was the third cop?” was what was running through people’s minds. No fanatic could accept it. When Beckett is giving a eulogy for her Captain, she glances over to Castle. He glances back and when he looks forward sees a glint and realises that it’s a sniper. Before he could yell out to her to move, the sniper fires. Being a quick thinker, he darts forward and pushes Kate down, but by then, she’s already received the shot. She then “dies” in Rick’s arms while he cradles her and tells her he loves her.

This closing scene also gets you thinking, “Does she really die?” “Rick does lunge forward to her, so although she is shot, she can’t be shot in the heart.” “If she is shot, will the show go on?” “This CAN’T be the end!” These are only some of the many questions that run in your mind after you watch this heart breaking scene. When you’ve been watching the show from the beginning and all of a sudden you see thing heart stopping episode, the 3 year romance that you’ve had with this ongoing mystery-drama just comes crashing down. It lingers on your mind and you ponder on it. It’s one of those unforgettable, wonderful, pleasant experiences you’ve had and then it suddenly robs you of its presence, you are left with an incomplete feeling. Every Monday you wait for 9:30for it to come on and you count the hours, then minutes and finally seconds and after it’s finished, you look on the “Episode Programme Guide” to see what next week’s episode is about. Now, you’re left with nothing. Castle ran on T.V for 3 years, from 2009-2011. Initially it came on at Wednesday 8:30-9:30pm. Then, a few episodes before the season 2 finale, the T.V. 1 producers moved the timing to Monday 9:30-10:30pm. At the end, it all comes down to your type of genre. What you like, you will watch, but for all us Castle freaks out there (like me!), we definitely can’t wait for season 4 to start! After all, we know that it’s going to be full of surprises!

Cast: Nathan Fillion-  Richard Castle

Stana Katic- Detective Kate Beckett

Jon Huertas- Detective Javier Esposito

Seamus Dever- Detective Kevin Ryan

Ruben Santiago-Hudson- Captain Roy Montgomery

Tamala Jones- Dr. Lanie Parish

Molly Quinn- Alexis Castle (Rick Castle’s daughter)

Susan Sullivan- Martha Rodgers (Rick Castle’s mother)