Chapter Seven

SEVEN 

Rob had emailed that morning to make sure we were still on for our date, and I had been grinning like a drunk lunatic ever since. The library was closed for the holiday weekend, so I kept myself busy with laundry and housework all day, watching the clock to know when I could reasonably start getting ready. Noon definitely would have been too soon, so I forced myself to wait until five. Then I headed for my closet to change into the outfit I had chosen for that night. 

It hadn't been an easy process. I knew which jeans I wanted to wear-the ones that didn't squeeze too tight around the middle but made my rear look amazing-but the top was another story. I had a light blue sweater Melanie said made me look totally gorgeous, but it was a little too warm. I didn't want extra reasons to sweat. I finally settled on a pink-and-white layered T-shirt that made my skin seem a little more creamy than usual, and paired it with my silver ballet flats. I thought I looked cute and put together, but not like I was trying too hard. Casual cuteness-yeah, that was me. 

Rob and Melanie had been up north, spending part of their holiday with their grandma. Rather than having them come all the way into town to pick me up, then driving back out to the bowling alley on the north side of town, we decided I'd meet them there, which would shave a good half hour off their commute and meant we could start our date that much earlier. Luke was coming straight from work, so it was better all the way around. 

Rob met me in the parking lot of the bowling alley and opened the car door for me, looking like a million dollars. More than a million dollars, in that blue shirt. He was a cross between Thor and Captain America, but with darker hair and without a magic hammer. Rob held a single red rose in his hand and offered it to me. 

"You look great." He gave me a quick, one-armed hug. "Melanie and Luke are already inside."  

"It's good to see you." I placed the rose on the seat of the car and closed the door, hoping the flower wouldn't freeze and fall apart. I was going to dry it and save it forever. I would put it on display at our wedding reception. It would hang on the wall in our home and our grandchildren would say, "Is that the flower Grandpa gave you on your first date?" and I would slobber around my dentures as I replied, "Yes, it is." 

I pulled myself back to reality. "Let's bowl." 

Rob led the way into the bowling alley and over to the chairs where Melanie and Luke waited. Luke was a nice-enough guy-he didn't have a whole lot going on upstairs, but he adored her, and that was good enough for me. 

I pulled some socks out of my purse-was I prepared for this date or what?-laced up my uber-ugly bowling shoes and picked out a ball, and then I was ready to rumble. I didn't want to make too big a fool out of myself in front of Rob, but my hands were shaking just from the excitement of finally-finally-being on a date with him, and my first turn didn't go so well. He smiled encouragingly, said some nice things, and then got a strike. He would be a perfect bowler, too-you couldn't look like he looked and not be perfect at everything. It was mathematically impossible. 

We ended up playing two games, and I did loosen up after a while. I got a couple of strikes of my own, but mostly enjoyed watching Rob's form-of course, I mean his bowling form. I was hoping to get pointers by watching him. And if I happened to enjoy watching him walk around, and sip his drink, and sit, and stand-well, maybe I needed pointers in all those things, too. 

Despite Rob's skill and finesse, Melanie and Luke beat us. I felt bad that my low scores had cost us the game, but Rob didn't seem to mind. He looked happy, as if being with me was bringing him joy in some way. I was probably imagining it-I didn't think I was exactly joy-bringing material-but he was having a good time, and I was glad about that. I didn't want him to regret being out with me.