12

Why we expected the doctor to have all the answers, I don't know but everyone seemed to be annoyed that he didn't. So far he could only explain that my shifting was because Dominic claimed me and he thinks the fact that I was claimed by Dominic even though I'm Cameron's mate, means my active and talkative wolf has a bond with Dominic. One very similar to a mate bond. To test this theory and the many others he had, we had to go outside behind the hospital which was pretty much an open field. The air out there was so clean and fresh. Never before have I realized just how many scents were actually outside or even how well they meshed together. Pine needles, soil, and what I think is an approaching storm fused together. I couldn't help but breathe it all in deeply.

Doctor Hemming had me standing between both Cam and Dominic but constantly made sure that neither of us was touching until he was ready for that.

"I want to try a few different things so bear with me." He gave a pointed look to both of the guys mostly speaking to Cameron. "First Jade, I want to see your strengths. As you know, wolves pure in color are stronger, faster, and possess abilities that the average wolf does not. You alone, are rare, so this is important. I noticed strange coloring in your fur and would like to see what kind of impact it has on your wolf."

"Strange coloring?" There was a sense of panic instantly. I was teased for not having a wolf. The last thing I need is to be taunted for "strange coloring".

"Yes. Your fur isn't quite white. It's slightly darker like ivory except for what appeared to be a silver streak extending from the tip of your nose to the end of your tail. Nothing to worry about, I'm sure. Jaxon, your wolf is pure in color. Please, shift with her. I would like for the two of you to race to the edge of the treeline and back."

With a smirk, my twin stepped up beside me. "This will be like taking candy from a baby. Do me a favor and don't cry, sis. You know I can't take it when you cry."

I scoffed and then chuckled at his arrogance. I feel confident about this for some reason. "Yeah, ok. You better not cry when I kick your ass."

"Language, Jade!"

"Sorry, Mom."

Jaxon and I both broke out into laughter and even my Dad joined in as we waited for Jax to strip down to his boxers. I swear he was putting on a show for the nurse the entire time, removing his clothes ever so slowly and made his pectoral muscles dance when he took off his shirt.

Eye roll.

As soon as he was done, we were both told to shift. Considering how bad it hurt the first time, I hesitated and only complied when I saw a small smile spread across my Dad's face. When I closed my eyes I tried to focus on what the Doctor said my wolf looks like. The sound of popping and stretching filled my ears and quickly, I was down on all fours.

"On the count of three, I want you to run as fast as you can, Jade."

I nodded as best I could.

"One. Two. Three!"

Jaxon and I both bolted before he even reached two. Call it instinct, but I somehow knew my brother was going to try to cheat.

This was the first time I'd really seen Jax race and damn if I wasn't tempted to stop and just watch him. Instead, I gave in to my wolf's desire to enjoy this and so I did. First I was pushing myself as hard and as fast as I could to try and actually win this, but the air combing my fur with each stride and the way the cool blades of grass felt underneath my paws took me over. I did, however, turn once I hit the treeline like I was asked and ended up running back to where we left the others standing. My eyes closed loving the way the wind buzzed in my ears. I heard my parents cheering and opened my eyes, skidding to a stop just in time to avoid colliding into them.

About five seconds later Jaxon came barreling into me and pounced on me rather excitedly. He licked my face and playfully nipping me. When he pulled away he shifted back into human form beaming proudly.

"That was the coolest thing I have ever seen! No one has ever beat me!" He knelt down rustling my fur. "Did you guys see that? My sister beat me!"

"Yes, Jaxon," The doctor smiled just as brightly, "we saw that and it was amazing." I was so excited, I couldn't keep still. Felt more alive than I ever have and super proud of myself. Sparing a glance at Dominic I saw the same thing in his eyes, pride, and it made me more happy at the thought. Cameron's face even held a smile of pride. Funny, for someone who saw me as a mistake, he sure isn't looking at me like that now. Revisiting that, I felt angry with myself. The human within me still hated Cameron, but my wolf who was more in control at the moment thought otherwise.

Almost as if it were in slow motion I heard something slice through the air and jumped back out the way, looking up to see the doctor with his fist balled up.

"You heard it coming, didn't you? Your ears went up just as I moved my hand and before I had the chance to connect with you, you dodged it. So not only do you have speed but quick reflexes as well. Interesting."

After a few seconds, it sank in that it was only a test. Still, I felt a little uneasy and wanted to bite his ass for trying to hit me. Removing the tie from around his neck and placing it around my eyes, the doctor then guided me a few steps away from where I was.

"I want both of you to take different positions. One stands to the right. The other to the left." I heard him say and assumed he was talking to Dominic and Cameron. "This is the last test for the day, Jade. Hopefully, this will determine which one of the two your wolf has the strongest connection with. What I want you to do is give full reign to your wolf and let her take you to the one she wants. I will have whichever man you go to, remove the blindfold. Go when you're ready."

Inhaling, deeply I let my mind be free of what I wanted and what I felt as human Jade. I let my wolf act completely on her own. In one direction was a scent that caused a stir within us, but in the other was one that took us to a state of arousal never seen before.

Taking a few steps forward I inhaled again. One side gave me comfort, smelling the way burning wood does when it tangles with fresh winter air. The other gave me warmth, carrying the aroma of melted chocolate, creamy and oh so sweet. It was everything that reminds you of home and that state of total peace was submerged within that second scent. Without further hesitation, I followed it.

A hand came down on top of my head soothingly massaging my fur and I couldn't help the growl-like purr that rumbled through me. Not only did their scent overtake me, but their touch was golden. Out of instinct, I tilted my head to lick the hand of the man I felt the most pull to. When that very hand moved over my eyes and began tugging at the blindfold, a pang of anxiety hit me.

What if this was Cameron? What if my wolf was turning a blind eye to everything he'd done and still craved him just as much? It hadn't occurred to me until this very moment that I do truly feel something for Dominic. Not only did he risk his life to save mine, but he also packed up to look for me and wanted me even without my wolf. I can't bear the thought of hurting him now and don't think I could ever forgive my wolf for what will most likely be the outcome of this.

At the last minute, I closed my eyes saying a silent prayer to the Moon Goddess. I was wrong to doubt her, to think she didn't care. If she hadn't, she never would have sent Dominic my way and for that, I am blessed. Putting my faith in her solely, I open my eyes just in time to see the owner of the hand kneel before me and place the sweetest kiss between my eyes.

My wolf chose Dominic.