All Except One (A short story by Tamara Plant)

All Except One

By Tamara Plant

Cover Photo: Vipez

© Copyright 2012 Tamara Plant

Smashwords Edition

This book is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are a product of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, business establishments, events or locales is entirely coincidental.

For my husband, Kenton

&

In loving memory of my brother, Corey Sails Sr.

All Except One

Chase was awakened by his three year old daughter, Ashley. “Daddy, you said we could go to the toy store tomorrow, and it’s tomorrow!” She jumped up and down with urgency and excitement, her hazel eyes shined in the rays of the morning sun. Chase smiled at his daughter and wallowed in the sweetness of her being the perfect combination of him and his wife, Nikko. He looked over at his sleeping wife. She looked as if she were about to burst. One month to go son, and we can meet. He touched her belly, and she unconsciously knocked his hand away. He laughed to himself and turned back to his daughter. “My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips.” He rolled out of bed and stood to stretch.

“Huh?” Ashley crinkled her little caramel forehead.

“It means I won’t break my promise to you… it’s from the bible, honey.” He yawned and stretched again.

“Ohhh,” she feigned understanding, and heard her father’s tired chuckle.

“Aren’t you going to pick out an outfit?” Chase asked as he dragged his feet into his and Nikko’s vanity, Ashley followed close behind him. “I did!” She frowned in offense. “This is my outfit!”

Chase surveyed his daughter’s ensemble and raised both his eyebrows in question, “That’s what you’re wearing?”

“Yes!”

“You’re going to wear yellow leggings, a pink tutu and a black and white polka-dot shirt?”

Blouse, daddy.” She corrected him and shook her head in disbelief.

“Excuse me; polka-dot blouse?”

“Yes!”

“You’re mismatching!” He playfully argued with his daughter.

“That’s the style!” She sparred with seriousness in her big eyes.  Chase washed the residual shaving cream from his face and relented. “Need help brushing your teeth?”

“Nope, see?” She smiled wide. “All clean.”

“Nicely done,” he smiled at his daughter. “Maybe we can take a walk around Hewey Park on the way to the toy store.

“Daddy, we don’t have time for that. We just walked around Hewey Park yesterday, and the last day.”

“The other day.” He corrected her.

“Dad!” Her little forehead crinkled in worry and broke his will.

“Ok but Daddy still has to get ready, are you willing to wait for me?”

“Mommy said not to wait for any man.” Chase dried his face and stared at his daughter in awe.

“I’m going to have to talk to Mommy about the types of conversations she has with you. Go watch TV; daddy will be ready in a few minutes.”