Chapter 1 - Rainbow Dash (Human)

- Rainbow Dash -

"Come on, AJ! We're gonna miss the bus!" I grabbed Applejack's wrist and dragged her out of the school, running as fast as my feet could carry me towards the bus stop. She'd met me at school since we were going into the city to buy some supplies for Pinkie's house party.

"Ah'm runnin' as fast as ah can, Rainbow!" Applejack gasped. The door to the bus was shutting. Without releasing my grip on Applejack, I pushed myself forward and stuck my foot in the door before it could close. The bus driver reluctantly opened the door and let us on.

"City center." I said to the driver breathlessly. He printed our tickets, and after we'd paid him, we took a seat in the middle of the bus.

"So," I said to Applejack as she rummaged through her rucksack. "Are you excited about the party tonight?"

"Well sure," She said, not looking at me. "Ah mean, if ah had a date like the rest of y'all I'd be more excited, but ah guess ah'll just have t' go stag."

I punched her in the arm. "I'm sure we'll find you a date before tonight!"

"Who?" She said. "Everyone who is anyone has already got someone to go with. Twilight's goin' with Flash; Rarity with one o' her fashion-forward boyfriends; Pinkie and mah cousin Braeburn; you and...who're you goin' with again?"

"Psh, I dont need a date! I'm so awesome, my date wouldnt be able to handle me!"

AJ rolled her eyes. "Even Fluttershy's goin' with mah big brother Big MacIntosh."

I raised an eyebrow. "Since when did they start liking each other? I thought they were both too shy to even consider dating."

AJ shrugged. "Ah guess bein' shy is what brought them together." She sighed. "Ah guess if you're goin' stag too, I wont seem so out o' place." 

"Ooh, this is our stop!" I interrupted, dodging out of the seat and darting to the front of the bus. AJ followed me a little more slowly, her face still slightly depressed. I rolled my eyes and grabbed her hand, dragging her towards the party shop. We ran around the shop, trying on costumes and silly hats, until eventually we found the streamers. Our job was to bring a bucket-load of streamers to decorate everything. Pinkie had been very specific that we needed every colour available.

After buying three bagfuls of streamers, we wandered through the rows of shops. Applejack still seemed a little depressed, so when we were sat on the bus again, I turned to her with my hand held out.

"Look. You want a date, I dont have one. Let's just make this easy and go together."

AJ turned to me with wide eyes. "But-"

"Nope. I wont take no for an answer. AJ, will you be my date to Pinkie's party?"

"Uh, ah, I dont know, uh..." She stammered, her freckled cheeks flooding with pink. "Wont people think we're weird? Two girls going together?"

I shrugged. "I've been to parties with girls before. Vinyl, even Trixie once." AJ raised her eyebrow. "Dont ask."

"Well, uh, I guess..." She said. Her cheeks were bright red, and she refused to meet my eye. 

"Sweet! We can just make everyone else jealous that they cant have us." I punched her arm and grinned, but she was still blushing. Truthfully, I also wanted a date. I'd never been to a party without a date before, and I was actually in the same boat as AJ. I just hope that us going together doesn't ruin our friendship.

- - -

I pushed open Pinkie's door and found myself being pelted with blaring music. Vinyl stood behind a set of turntables with Octavia on a lounge chair not far from her. Pinkie was nowhere to be seen.

"Hey Vinyl, Octavia!" I shouted over the music. Vinyl waved at us. Octavia pointed at her headphones and smiled - she was probably blaring classical music into her ears to drown out the dubstep that Vinyl was playing. I walked through to the kitchen and found Pinkie hunched over a bowl of cake batter. Applebloom and Sweetie Belle were also in the kitchen decorating cakes that had already been baked. 

AJ barged past me. "Applebloom! What're you doin' here? This is a grown up party!"

Applebloom crossed her arms. "I'm sixteen now. I can do what I want!"

AJ raised an eyebrow. "Did Granny or Mac say you could come?"

"Big Mac is comin' anyway! He's back home with Fluttershy right now, gettin' ready!" 

AJ groaned. "Fine, ya can stay. Dont even think about drinkin' though." I rolled my eyes as AJ stomped out of the room. 

"Here are your streamers, Pinkie." I said, placing the bags on the floor.

She passed her bowl to Sweetie Belle. "Keep mixing! I'll be back soon. Where is Scootaloo, by the way?" Sweetie shrugged. "Come on Dash, let's get these streamers up!" I followed Pinkie back into the living room, eager to know what the rest of the evening was to bring.