Chapter 6 - Intimate Spoils of War

Chapter 6 – Intimate Spoils of War

“It’s not broken,” Dad muttered as he probed at my hand and I did my best to keep the hissing sounds to a minimum. I guess that was something, I had no idea what I would’ve done if I had to have gone all summer with a cast.

“It’s just badly sprained. Riley, tell me what on earth have you been up to?” He wheeled slightly backwards with his chair to get a better look at me.

“Well,” I dragged out the word, “I was trying to break one of those wooden boards, you know the ones they use in martial arts? Anyway, I guess I hit it wrong or something because the only thing that came out damaged was me.”

Biting my lip I saw dad’s mouth twitch. “Hey, it’s not funny!” I scolded.

“Riley, aren’t you right handed?”

“Yes, dad, I am,” I rolled my eyes as he took too much enjoyment in my pain, “I was drunk okay? I dunno how to punch sober let alone when I can barely stand straight.”

“Ah,” was all dad said as he shook his head in amusement. He got up and fetched a few rolls of bandages as well as some tape while I kept resting my hand on his desk.

“That’s it? ‘Ah’ is all you have to say? I don’t get a lecture?” I was completely baffled.

Dad smiled at me with that knowing, grown up look of his. “Riley, you’re starting college in the fall, at some point me and your mom are going to have to let you live your own life and learn your own mistakes.”

“But I’m not even legal, I’m basically a law breaker,” I should just shut up, I was getting off easy, very easy, why couldn’t I just leave it at that?

“You and your sister were never ones to ask our permission on that department. At some point I have to put my trust in your judgement and just have faith that we raised you right.”

My mouth literally popped open. “Who are you and what have you done with my father?”

Ignoring my remark, he began wrapping my hand and said, “Although I am thinking I’m putting too much faith in your judgement.”

“Ya think?”

When he looked up and our eyes met we both chuckled and dad shook his head. “Just promise me you won’t try anything like this again and we’re good.”

“Don’t worry, I learned my lesson,” I assured him.

His pager started buzzing on his desk and I knew before he looked up from the message that it was time for me to go.

“I guess that’s my cue,” I got to my feet and hugged him, “thank you daddy, love you. Don’t work too long, it’s the weekend after all.”

Dad chuckled, “Love you too kiddo.” I knew it was deliberate that he didn’t make a promise to leave early today.

I closed the door behind me and walked through the busy halls. It was only when I got outside that I realized I was still stranded, but at least this time I had options. Sitting at the bus stop I texted Trix.

Heading back to Kourtney’s, see you soon? x

Pocketing my phone I clung to the prospect of diving headfirst into the couch and staying there for the rest of the day. My head was still pounding and my limbs were complaining about all the work I was making them do, the only thing that kept me going was knowing how grateful I would be when I made it through the door.

Getting off the bus and walking the last fifteen minutes felt like pure torture, the heat had started to get to me so Chace’s hoodie was tied around my waist. When the apartment building came into view I was prepared to do a hallelujah, but my bliss was interrupted by my stomach that decided it was time to demonstrate a whale’s mating call.