Chapter 4

Loki had once been proud of knowing exactly who he was and what he wanted in life. However, as his life went on, all of that was knocked off balance. The first surprise was coming to the realization that he was not Odin’s son; the last was realizing that whether he wanted to or not, he cared about Bruce Banner.          

                He glanced over at the doctor whose eyes were closed and his head was resting against the wall behind him. His features were relaxed, peaceful, and if Loki did not know any better, he would assume he was asleep. He allowed his eyes to travel over Bruce’s body, marveling at the strength that this kind creature possessed. Upon meeting him, you would not assume he was capable of any harm. However, the large toned muscles that defined his upper and lower body were enough to convince Loki that if needed, he could cause some actual damage. Not that he was in need of his human form to deal damage and showcase strength, he had Hulk for that.

                “How?” Bruce finally asked in a soft, hushed voice.

                “Hm?”

                “How have I changed your life?” He wondered. Loki was thankful that his eyes were closed because a slow blush had crept into his cheeks.

                “A week ago I would have thought the idea of sitting next to you, living with you, kissing you would be completely repulsive. However, as I sit here, listening to you speak to me as your equal and telling me things about myself that I had chosen not to acknowledge, specifically my relationship with Thor, I now realize that I…” He trailed off. He what? What was he about to say? Bruce’s eyes fluttered open to gaze at the demigod whose brow was furrowed as he fought for the right words.

                “I now realize that, against my better judgment and all logic, I do believe I care for you.  Not only you, but it seems as though I’ve developed an empathetic relationship with the entire human race, and that is all thanks to you,” his blush deepened. Bruce felt his heart pound in his chest sweetly. Summoning enough courage, he reached out a tender hand and caressed away a strand of black hair, pushing it delicately behind his ear. Loki appeared stunned by this action.

                “Does this mean you do not hate me anymore?” He asked.

                “I… Never said that,”

                “True, but sometimes the truth requires no words. You said you cared about me, how can you possibly expect me to believe that you still hate me?” Bruce pointed out with a smile.

                “Alright, so I do not hate you. In all honesty, I don’t think I ever really hated you specifically. I hated the Avengers. Correction, I still hate them. However you, you were never really one of them now were you? You were the dangerous weapon they needed yet feared. Tony was the only one who seemed to care. Is that why you love him? Because he was the only one who did not cower from you whenever you were angered?” Loki choked down his ridiculous jealousy at the mention of Bruce’s feelings for Tony.

                “Tony is… He is my friend. I’ve never met someone who could keep up with me intellectually the way he does. He is a genius, and although he has an over fondness of alcohol and women, he is very kind to me. He treated me like a person, not like a time bomb that could explode at any moment. Hell, the man even goes as far as to tease me. That’s all I really want, is to be treated like person. When you look at all Tony has done for me, and then add the fact that he is attractive, yes, you get the reason why I have feelings for him,” Bruce explained. However, as he spoke, he could not help but wonder whether or not he really did love Tony. His reasons did not seem right. Loki obviously agreed.